Too much stuff on my hard drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grandpaw7

I am wondering if I should do something to create more space on my hard drive. I don't know which statistics are the important ones, so I'm including all of what I found out:

39.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
17.44 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400

Total Physical Memory: 768 MB
Available Physical Memory: 387 MB

My dearly beloved grandaughter has enough itunes on my computer to choke a fat brandleader. When I roughly add up the space that itunes say her itunes files (or folders?) use it's about 3.2 GB.

I have done some of the simple stuff, like the IE maintenance programs and CCleaner, and I am wondering what most of the used space contains. Is there any good way to find out so I can decide if I can get rid of some of it?

And how much might it help to increase the 768 MB physical memory?

And input would be appreciated.

The 768 MB of physical memory refers to your RAM, which is different from hard drive space. Increasing the physical memory can make your computer run faster and more smoothly, though. A large portion of the space used is taken up by Windows XP itself, then a large portion is taken up by the MP3's and such that iTunes is using. 17.4 gigs remaining when you're only using 22.5 gigs (much of which is operating system files and programs that you're not going to want to get rid of) should be plenty for most purposes, unless you're planning on installing some rather large programs and/or files on your PC. You can check the size of your personal files and folders by simply right clicking on them and going to Properties, that'll tell you what's big and what isn't.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Some Easy Ways To Reclaim Hard Drive Space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, set the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties, click System Restore(tab), set the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Open the C:\Windows\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Open the C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart your computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Dell Dimension 2400 desktop will run okay with that processor type and speed and with that amount of RAM, but it never hurts to have more.

If you decide you want more RAM in it, it's capable of supporting up to 2048 MB of RAM. It uses standard PC2700 or PC3200 modules, which are cheap these days.

You can read about and purchase them from here. I've purchased modules from CRUCIAL for years.

------------------------------------------------------------

grandpaw7

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for taking the time to post those informative and helpful replies. It's information I needed. grandpaw

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online