1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TOO MUCH UNINSTALL,Still show on run.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by driftwood2004ua, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. driftwood2004ua

driftwood2004ua Thread Starter

:(I have an old slow computer with the first XP sp2.It barely fits.I uninstalled norton A.V.whenit took up too much space.I used the norton uninstall but it took 105 programs or updates with it.Norton AV is gone but the others show when I go to Run,C:\WINdows\ it looks like this.The first program says $hf_mig$ and is 411mb.in black ink.The next is $MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$, 5.31mb many folders.Next is $NTServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ Next $NT ServicePackUninstall NLSDownlevelMapping$ Next $NT Uninstall basecaps$.From there it's all KBthings,every file but the very first in blue ink and each has an spuninst folder.THen it has the text of what it did.After those files I have many of my normal progams listed but when I try to download an update from M.S. it won't usally work.It ends up with the uninst files.Its like my computer is part XP and some NT.Ican't do a restore it's been too long and I don't Have the XP discs,they disapeared ayear ago.Any thougts on a way to put them back? Also how do I reset the Pfirewall log to zero?I have many logs and i don't want to delete them just start from today.

2. kniht

kniht

The NTUninstall folders are Windows updates.

Files contained within the NtUninstall folder are used by your sustem to uninstall the a Windows update that you have downloaded and installed. Each folder has a specific name ending in the name of a particular Windows update.

Blue entries show Windows has compressed the folder.

Are you wanting to delete the NtUninstalls? You can as long as you are sure you don't want to uninstall that particular Windows update. Best thing is just leave them there unless you are desparate for HDD space.

Do not delete the $hf_mig$ folder. The folder is there for future upgrades to reference so an already installed hotfix won't be undermind by installing an older or incompatible version.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

4. kniht

kniht

Sorry, TheOutcaste, didn't see your reply to the other post. These duplicate threads get me all confused. Of course, it doesn't take much to confuse me anyway at my age!! :) :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice