1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tool to copy files and folders to new location?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MisterSpoons, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MisterSpoons

MisterSpoons Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm really struggling to find a solution to this. I have a music collection 260gb which has a mix of codec's mp3, flac, wav, mp4.

I need to pull out all the flac files and move them to a new drive keeping the original folder structures on the new drive, as they are by artist/album and I have way too many to do this manually..

It's driving me mad :)

Any thoughts?

Cheers Chris

2. stantley

stantley

Hi, welcome to TSG.

Use the Windows Search utility and search the whole drive for *.flac, then select all the files, Right-click > Copy, go to the other drive, Right-click > Paste.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

That was my original thought, except the original folder content is lost. The Paste, just pastes the file into the selected folder ignoring the folder structure that it came from.

But something like XXCopy will most likely work.

4. stantley

stantley

I guess I should have read the question a little more carefully. :eek:

I thought he just wanted to keep the original folder structure on the source drive, but I guess he wants to duplicate the folder structure on the new drive and only move the flac files.

5. MisterSpoons

MisterSpoons Thread Starter

Yep that's it I need to maintain the original file structure.....

I can't believe this type of request isn;t more common. Xopy, and Robocopy can't as far as I can tell do this....

I've started to do this manually for 2,400 folders......... for the time being at least ..

6. stantley

stantley

Another way to do it is copy everything to the new drive (if you have room), then search for *.mp3 and delete all of them and do the same with the other file types.

The only drawback is that it will take a long time to copy 260GB, but it would still be easier than doing it manually.

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice