1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toolbars disappeared

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wizzkid, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi,

Could you please help? I am doing a friend a favour so I don't know the computer details apart from the O/S is Windows 98 and the problem is with Word.

The problem is all the toolbars have disappeared.....File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tool and all the icons. It is suspected that someone has been messing with the comp and done this but it is not 100%. Nothing can be done except write a document, minimize, maximize and close.

Is there a way of getting the things back or should I uninstall word then reinstall it.

Thanks

Wizzkid:confused:

2. mobo

mobo

Have you tried clicking on VIEW, then toolbars ?

3. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Ther is no view, there isn't anything

Wizzkid

4. mobo

mobo

Is there anywhere on the page for you to right click ?

5. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Yes, I have right clicked all over the place, but the only thing that appears is a drop down menu when I click on the top that has Close, Restore, Minimize on it and when I right click in the middle of the screen a drop down menu that has, Fon't, Paragraph, Bullets & Numbering.

Wizzkid

6. Miz

Miz

Open Word and then press the Alt/V key combination. That will open the View menu where the toolbars can be re-enabled.

If the toolbar settings won't "stick," do a search of the harddrive for a file called "normal.dot" (without the quotes). When it's found, delete it. Word will create a new one next time Word is opened.

If the search can't find "normal.dot," open any folder (My Computer will do), go to Tools>Folder Options>View and check "Show hidden files and folders," click OK. Run the search again.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

OK people, Thanks I will try to do these things next week as I will not see her until monday. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks again.

Wizzkid

9. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Just replying regarding the dissapearance of the toolbars in Word. I have tried all suggestions from the link supplied by dreamboat and Alt/V, but still no luck....

I intended to have a look at it on Monday, but I made a special trip today, as I was sure your had supplied me with the fix.

Wizzkid

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Are you there now?

My fix DOES work 100% if you followed steps 3 and 5.

The only thing I can think is that they may have a weirdo install.

What version of Word is running?

Did you rename the registry key? This is a MUST if renaming normal.dot doesn't work.

You FOUND normal.dot and renamed it? How many normal.dots are there, and did you rename them all? Also a MUST...

11. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Hi,

Yep followed steps 3 and 5.
    Renamed the registry key and renamed normal.dot, there were two of them, I renamed them both.

Wizzkid

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    WHAT VERSION??
    What regkey did you rename?
    I would go through the steps again to make sure you followed everything correctly.
    I have NEVER seen the regfix NOT work in over 6 years...

13. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Ok, no problem dreamboat. I will recheck everything again on monday, as I am at home now. The Reg Key I renamed was :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\word

The version is word 2000 professional

Wizzkid

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That won't do it then.

For 2000, it's:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\9.0\word

If I recall, the one you changed is for Word 95 (7.0) because they didn't start using those version folders until version 97 (8.0)

15. wizzkid

wizzkid Thread Starter

Ooh, s**t, what can i do now......

Wizzkid

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice