1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Top 1/3 of display is gone crazy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by herronm, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. herronm

herronm Thread Starter

The top 1/3 of my display has colors washed out, pointer is ghost like, and text is almost unreadable. The other 2/3 looks and operates normally.

I have restarted, reset the display to factory settings. A full screen shot does not show the problem (it looks normal).

I have a Asus desktop running Windows 7 and an HP monitor.

I also have a cat that may have walked across the keyboard...maybe some weird key combos???

Could it be the display or the graphics card?

Please help.

Max

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

If you take a screenshot and that looks perfectly normal, that would lead me to believe that the graphics card itself is probably OK. So, things to check are that the cable to the monitor is securely fitted at the card and monitor ends. Also, if possible, get a known good cable and test with that, maybe borrow one from a friend or neighbour for 5 minutes to check.

Do you have access to any other PC or laptop that you could plug the monitor into to see if the problem persists on another machine? If it did that would indicate a problem with the monitor.

3. herronm

herronm Thread Starter

Thanks Tanis,

It is the display. Any idea about calibrations or should I just go buy a new one?

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I can't say with 100% certainty, but based on your description I would say there may be a hardware problem with it and it is probably easier to get a new one if you can afford to do so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice