1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Top marks to Microsoft

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by aussie girl, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aussie girl

aussie girl Thread Starter

I downloaded and installed the new Microsoft AntiSpyware program. I highly recommend it. It found Trojan hijackers and Trojan downloaders, as well as 29 entries of 'money tree' and also 'eXact.BargainBuddy'.

These last 2 I notice that Spybot scans through them, but does nothing about them (during spybot scan in the bottom LH of the screen), why is this?I run Spybot, AVG and AdAware SE daily and they didn't pick up these entries. I was also unaware that I had a Trojan worm.

Excellent work Microsoft!!!!

2. AvvY

AvvY

Well, I too think it is a great program - although all the hard work was done by GIANT, the company who made the program, which MS bought and stamped their name all over.

But yes, its another program that people should add.

Late,

3. Deke40

Deke40

Be aware that us older OS people are out of luck.

Attached Files:

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

Also, this is a BETA version only. Set to expire July 31, 2005.

Have no idea what microsoft plans to do after that. Do you?

5. aussie girl

aussie girl Thread Starter

jd 957, no I dont know what their plans are. I can only hope they continue on with a more permanent version. I do know that it detected and cleaned where the others failed, including panda, housecall, avast, ewido, norton, avg, adaware and spybot. I know I've had a lot of these on my comp for months, just watching spybot scan past them. And a trojan worm too, I'm told they're deadly???

6. somefellow

somefellow

After the beta , it is still unknown what MS will do with the new software ....i heard that maybe they will " split " some of the tools and start a subscription to some/all/none .....who knows ? After adaware and spybot became the most popular in its class , i cant see them offering it for nothing ...especially after all the hype and proof that it does actually do a better job than the both of them.

7. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I expect for Microsoft to sell the software and then force a subscription to keep the definition files up to date.

8. Big-K

Big-K

Unfortuatly, yeah they probably would do that. They make cash off of Office, Frontpage, etc., so why wouldnt they do it to this too?

9. AvvY

AvvY

Look at it logically - MicroSoft = Evil Batsardos. Multinational Company.
    There is no way that they'd give away this program for free.

As for older OS's. That's progress for you (According to MS). They at least extended support to Win98 for a few more years. But it's not like it matters, they never do anything better in each release of Windows.

Late,

10. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

And now, for those of you w/ a sense of humour...

Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
    http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html
    By Brian Briggs

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

AntiSpywareMicrosoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee. "Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

A representative from Lavasoft, which sells Ad-Aware another spyware removal program, complained that Microsoft was using its monopoly and knowledge of the operating system to "offer features that others can't match."

"Tough [insert nasty word here]," said Weatherbee.

Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried to check the weather this morning and all my little blue 'e' icons were missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.

Related News
    Microsoft Announces Ads for Blue Screen of Death
    Microsoft Granted Patent for Creating Insecure Software
    Microsoft Bundles Worm with IIS

Users of alternative browsers were happy to see Internet Explorer gone. Thad Freeman of the Mozilla Users Group said, "I've been trying for years to get rid of Internet Explorer. I never imagined that Microsoft would do it for me. I'm ecstatic."

Microsoft technical support was advising customers to reinstall Windows to regain Internet access and to disable automatic updates.

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.

:eek: ;)

Ok, back to reality, a couple of the better reviews I've read on this are:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ms_antispyware_preview.asp
    and
    http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/01/11/antispyware.html

Lastly, is it just me, or does anyone else find it sad that MS is getting so many accolades and applause for bringing out software that (a) was not their's to begin with, yet appears that they try to take credit for it's development, (b) that their own mult-multi-millions of dollars couldn't compete w/ a much much smaller firm, and (c) their own durn holes and software is what causes much of the problem to begin with. Sorry, maybe I'm being just a tad too harse on 'em... :rolleyes:

11. dirk&prissy

dirk&prissy

I agree! I read your post and then downloaded it - it found all kinds of stuff that my AV, S&D, sweeper, and Ad-A-Ware didn't find!

12. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

Thanks, kind of wondered where the big blue E took off to.....lol :p

13. hewee

hewee

14. zoombini

zoombini

Just thought I'd throw some more weight behind it.

After reading this thread, I installed it last night and after the first scan it picked up a couple of problems previously ignored by Adaware/Spybot/Blaster.

Like u say though, it's a pity that post-beta this will be become a commercial money-making opportunity for MS.

15. Tuppence2

Tuppence2

Hello,

Does this program only perform with Internet Explorer? I use FireFox. Thanks.

Bye,
    Penny. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice