1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tor Browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by md2lgyk, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Just read an article about Tor. Has anyone tried it out?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

No and don't intend to.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I have, just to know it. Problem is is that waaaaaay too many people are using this for nefarious purposes. One of the reasons we don't assist with it.

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Yeah, the article (in Popular Science magazine) did say Tor was popular with those with less-than-honest intentions. I don't plan to use it, but wanted to ask since the article also said it was an excellent way to protect one's privacy on the web. Can't argue with the importance of that.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I previously serviced a laptop where its owner was using the Tor browser and doing a lot of video/music downloading with it.

It was infected and full of malware/spyware and running like a turtle.

After I cleaned it out and got it running normal, I gave him some advice about his downloading and computing habits.

He ignored my advice and trashed it within 2 weeks.

I refused to service it again.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

And amongst all the fuss about it, the fact that it is part funded and set up by the CIA has quietly been forgotten.

I use it to get round the stupid restrictions on viewing BBC Worldwide material, amongst other stuff, that won't let UK residents access it.

That same reason applies to many other sites as well that have country specific content. It can be difficult sorting out people's problems when you see different pages to them.

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Can't blame you for that - you can't fix stupid. It isn't Tor's fault though. Were I to try it (unlikely) I wouldn't go to any sites I don't already.

9. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I know nothing about the Tor browser, but I did try Tor (the program) many years ago. Browsing with that thing enabled was slow as a snail. There are much better ways to get around country restrictions, but this is not the forum to discuss it.

It was originally developed with the U.S. Navy in mind, for the primary purpose of protecting government communications. I dunno, but this just rings a bell (NSA..... and who else.....), you know? ;)

10. valis

valis Moderator

Yup its slow. Wasnt built for speed though.....;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice