Solved Toredo Tunneling Adapter

rumi

Hi and tanks in advance,

in control panel/printers and devices I have a yellow warning sign on my laptop device icon. it leads me to troubleshooting which tells me the Microsoft Toredo Tunneling Adapter driver has a problem and reinstalling it may fix the problem. It tries to re-install something but fails and sends a message that the keboard filter driver needs to be reistalled - apply this fix fails (doesn't seem to be able to find a driver via windows update) My computer seems to be working fine, althought the fingerprint reader mysteriouslt disappeared (but I got it back by downloading a driver, reinstalling and it works ok again now) Not sure if I have a virus (I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it found and quarantined Malkit Trojan ??) or maybe this is a (win 7 no longer supported issue ??) or something else ??

Anyway the sys info is

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20121025221733.000000+540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 MB
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (14 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 172A, ver KBC Version 30.35, s/n CZC03736F7
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n CZC03736F7
Antivirus: None

Thanks again

Rumi

rumi

Not military tanks, more like tropical fish tanks :)

TerryNet

Terry
Sorry for my confusion, but what is it for which you want help? You've mentioned several things but most seem to be fixed.

If it's the Toredo (I assume that you meant Teredo) Tunneling in the title what are you prevented from doing?

rumi

Terry, thanks for reply, and yes I'm not having any great problems, but was worried it might be a virus or something that I need to sort out before it gets worse, or something I can ignore. Following the trouble shooter didn't get me anywhere, so I thought I'd ask.

Plodr, thanks for the link, I went throught the process and it installed the software (very quickly ??) but said it cannot start (code 10). I tried the elevated command prompt and the netsh show said tunneling adapter is dsisabled I tried to do a netsh set ~

netsh interface teredo set state type=enterpriseclient

but failed when it said "the requested operation requires elevation, run as administartor"

not sure whether to mess with the registry ??

thanks Rumi

TerryNet

Terry
If you do not need/use Tunneling and it is causing no problem then ignore it. If you have trouble with it I recommend disabling ...

If you'd like to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up under the IPCONFIG, you can uninstall some or all of IPv6.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value (probably have to add the parameter--DWORD type):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
1 Disable tunnel interfaces
2 Disable 6to4
4 Disable ISATAP
8 Disable Teredo
16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces
32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6
255 Disable IPv6 completely​

(but I got it back by downloading a driver, reinstalling and it works ok again now) Not sure if I have a virus (I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it found and quarantined Malkit Trojan ??) or maybe this is a (win 7 no longer supported issue ??) or something else ??
The only place to get drivers for your laptop is HERE

If those drivers don't work, then your network card is likely no longer supported.
If you have extended support from Microsoft you could check for updates for new drivers.

Getting drivers from anywhere else is too risky because of malware.

rumi

The only place to get drivers for your laptop is HERE

If those drivers don't work, then your network card is likely no longer supported.
If you have extended support from Microsoft you could check for updates for new drivers.

Getting drivers from anywhere else is too risky because of malware.
Thanks for your info,
ok, but I already got the driver, I don't remember exactly where from, but I started off by going in through HP support. It seems to have worked fine and no additional problems since installing it. Is there anything I should do about it now ?

Rumi

rumi

If you do not need/use Tunneling and it is causing no problem then ignore it. If you have trouble with it I recommend disabling ...

If you'd like to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up under the IPCONFIG, you can uninstall some or all of IPv6.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value (probably have to add the parameter--DWORD type):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
1 Disable tunnel interfaces​
2 Disable 6to4​
4 Disable ISATAP​
8 Disable Teredo​
16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces​
32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6​
255 Disable IPv6 completely​
Thanks for your input, but therein lies the essence of the problem. I have no idea whether I need tunneling or not. I certainly don't use it in any way deliberately, but god knows what it is doing in the background. As such I obviously don't know whether I need to get rid of it or not.

Rumi

managed

Allan
I have IPv6 switched off (255 at the Registry key in Terry's last post) in Windows 7 and have no Internet problems.

If you decide to do the same make a note of the value now, so you can set it back if this doesn't help, then set it to 255 (decimal) or FF (hex) - they are the same.

rumi

Then you don't need it! If you were trying to do something with IPv6 and needed the tunneling you would certainly know that.
ok, that's clear enough, I just want to see if plodr has any advice on how to get the tunneling utility to work before I zap it thank you

plodr

Liz
I checked our four Windows 7 computers (3 Home and 1 Pro). All have Teredo tunneling pseudo-interface.
Two (my husband's desktop and laptop) have the yellow exclamation point meaning this device can not start code 10. It obviously hasn't affected anything we do on the computers.
If it bothers you, right click it and disable it.
The ones that don't show the yellow triangle (my desktop and laptop), I discovered I had disabled the device.

Bottom line: it isn't needed because all four of my computers don't use it either by inability to start or me manually disabling it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online