Toshiba 1TB Hard drive stopped working on mac

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

badluckkat

Hi there, sorry in advance for anything in this post that may sound silly or unclear as i am not tech savy, and this is the first time I've ever posted on one of these forums but its an emergency and i'd appreciate all the help i could get!

So i have this 1tb toshiba external hard drive that I've had for probably a year or less, that i formatted properly to mac when i got it and it was working fine ever since, i had absolutely no problems (Thankfully).

However the other day my hard drive got accident plugged into a dell laptop (that i presume was probably on windows) as my teacher who accidentally plugged it in mistakenly took it for her own hard drive. I didn't realise it wasn't working until today when i plugged it into my own macbook air and it was no longer being recognised, it is not coming up on my desktop, nor under devices or applications in the finder.

Im presuming that it being plugged into that dell laptop is correlated with it now not being recognised on my mac where it had previously been recognised and working fine, unless its just stopped being recognised and has nothing to do with that situation?

If anyone could advise me on how maybe i could possibly get my laptop to recognise it again as i really need to access my work that is on there :( - contents of the hard drive are just image and video files as i do photography and videography.

any questions or any more info needed please just ask, sorry if I've missed anything out.

thanks! x

Hello Badluckkat,

First if you can give us a model number that would be fantastic!
as Toshiba makes a lot of XHDs

As for the device no longer registering;

do you know what your teacher did on your dive is anything?

And then you said your plugging it into your desktop - is that a PC or MAC too?

As for a fix right now I would say restart your macbook boot it up w/out the drive connected then connect the drive when the macbook is fully booted and tell me how that goes

IF THE MATERIAL IS IMPORTANT NEVER TRY ANYTHING THAT WOULD WIPE DATA = THERE IS ALWAYS RECOVERY OPTIONS

badluckkat

Hey KibaFrost,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply, i really appreciate it!

The model number on the back is - DT310

Nothing was done by my teacher as when the hard drive was plugged into her dell laptop it was not recognised and didn't come up (presumably because it was already formatted to my mac laptop) - so she didnt actually interfere with the hard drive itself as it never came up on her computer.

literally 5 minutes before this i know my hard drive was working because i was using it that day right before she accidentally plugged it into her laptop.

and sorry i meant that the hard drive just wasn't showing up on my desktop on my macbook air, the only thing I'm trying to connect the hard drive to right now is this macbook air, also the hard drive has never been previously formatted to any other laptop except this macbook air if that helps x

just tried rebooting, sadly no luck :( - I'm not getting any response from the hard drive or anything no blue light or anything like that.

That s odd, The fact that its been formatted to the macbook and that macbook only really doesn't matter.

from the fact its not even showing a light at all shows that its not getting power, try to use a different cord to connect the HD and the PC, sorry macbook

badluckkat

Hey, sorry for the late reply

i tried a different cord yesterday still no luck unfortunately :(

i think maybe it has something to do with the actual hard drive itself? - i have some IT technicians in my school I'm going to see if they can do anything on monday, fingers crossed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online