1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba ALU 3.5" 1.5TB External HDD Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Emaryles, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emaryles

Emaryles Thread Starter

Hello!

I'm having a problem with a new external HDD I bought a couple of months ago. I have already
    exhausted my capicity for problem solving and already inquired on a few other websites too.

The HDD is recognized by Windows XP as a HDD 3.5", but then it prompts for drivers, and never finds any.
    I am told the drivers should be on the HDD itself, but my computer does not access the drive, and never
    assigns it a letter or anything.

The drive is working normally on all the other computers I tried it with. My computer is from 2006, so maybe
    it is an age problem. I don't know.

I drive came as FAT32, and I tried formatting to NTFS, but that did not work.

I have fully updates drivers from DELL (bios/chipset/etc.) and Microsoft (SP3/etc.), so it can't be a problem of drivers, can it?

Cheers,
    M.

2. Emaryles

Emaryles Thread Starter

Hey guys, It seems the problem is more complicated. Here are two more discoveries I made today:

I accidentally uninstalled one USB Root Hub, and all my usb devices stopped working. I had to read about how to re-install them, and most people said that Windows should do that by itself. It didn't. So the next thing I did was uninstall all the USB Controllers, on the assumption that Windows XP should reinstall them automatically afterwards. Windows did not do this also!

Although Windows detected something, it did not recognize it as a controller, and did not install drivers for them. I had to manually tell Windows to look in C:/Windows/System32/drivers and C:/Windows/servicepackfiles/i386 for each and every controller. It was tiring.

I finally reinstalled all my usb controllers and my webcam is working fine again. But did not fix the HDD issue.

This is connected somehow with the HDD problem though, because I hooked up my HDD to a friend's computer, and tried to bring the data to my computer on a USB stick. Guess what, the USB stick is noticed by windows, but not recognized or installed in "my computer". The same story!!!

I should tell you that back in early December I removed an older 700 GB Siemens HDD from my system without "Safely Uninstalling" it, and it crashed the HDD. I now realize that this accident has probably messed up my copy of windows, or my computer. I"m not sure which..?

I believe all these problems are connected. It seems centered around Windows' ability to detect Large storage devices via USB. My webcam, for example, is working just fine.

Well, I am still working hard to solve this, but if you have any ideas, please let me know!

All the best,
    M.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice