Toshiba Cable Modem - USB AND Ethernet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

emac921

I was wondering if this would work. I have 2 PC's, both with Win98SE, hooked up in a dial-up network through a Linksys router for printer sharing only. All hooked up with Cat5 cabling.

We can dial out, one or the other on phone line "B", or both at the same time, using Phone line "A" and "B".

We need a public IP address, for my wife only, as she has remote Sabre software for her travel business. (CANNOT have a firewall).

The upshot is, dial-up stinks! I want to go back to Cable, but without a router, which would bring back the firewall business.

Now, Toshiba has a model with both USB and ethernet
connections, where they say you can hook up 2 PC's at the
same time, through the different connections.

With the Modem at my machine, I could hook me up to the USB
and run my wife's PC on ethernet. (She's 60' away in another room).

Does this sound feasible? Would my machines suffer because of the different connections?

With this hook-up, I will most likely lose my printer sharing, however I could get a second printer for her use.

Comments please. . Thanks

:confused:

if you are going back to cable why network them at all. Get a separate cable for the wife. Its installed from a splice on your cable inside your home.Call your cable supplier and ask them about the added expense. shoudn't be that bad

emac921

Well, I thought of that, but I am already networked and I would have to run a new cable 60' to my wife's location. Not an easy task.

Plus she would also need a seperate cable modem, also an added expense.

:confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online