1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Cable Modem - USB AND Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by emac921, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

I was wondering if this would work. I have 2 PC's, both with Win98SE, hooked up in a dial-up network through a Linksys router for printer sharing only. All hooked up with Cat5 cabling.

We can dial out, one or the other on phone line "B", or both at the same time, using Phone line "A" and "B".

We need a public IP address, for my wife only, as she has remote Sabre software for her travel business. (CANNOT have a firewall).

The upshot is, dial-up stinks! I want to go back to Cable, but without a router, which would bring back the firewall business.

Now, Toshiba has a model with both USB and ethernet
    connections, where they say you can hook up 2 PC's at the
    same time, through the different connections.

With the Modem at my machine, I could hook me up to the USB
    and run my wife's PC on ethernet. (She's 60' away in another room).

Does this sound feasible? Would my machines suffer because of the different connections?

With this hook-up, I will most likely lose my printer sharing, however I could get a second printer for her use.

Comments please. . Thanks

:confused:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

if you are going back to cable why network them at all. Get a separate cable for the wife. Its installed from a splice on your cable inside your home.Call your cable supplier and ask them about the added expense. shoudn't be that bad

3. emac921

emac921 Thread Starter

Well, I thought of that, but I am already networked and I would have to run a new cable 60' to my wife's location. Not an easy task.

Plus she would also need a seperate cable modem, also an added expense.

:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice