1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba configfree and wireless issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by owenbbug, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. owenbbug

owenbbug Thread Starter

Hello,

I've run out of ideas with this issue, and have been struggling with it since Christmas. Any insight about any one of these issues will be greatly appreciated.

My ultimate goal: connect the toshiba to wireless internet.

My mothers toshiba satellite is 4 years old and is a stripped down $300 machine. It runs XP SP2. It is not very loaded with programs, and is mostly a word processing and internet machine. It was setup without issue on a netgear wireless router trough a Bresnan modem for the last few years. We were trying to get other computers to access the wireless, but could not find the password or WEP key. So, I reset the modem and router, and reset the password. This was quick and successful, and everyone could connect to the wireless...except my mothers toshiba. The wireless signal showed up in the little radar screen, and you could click on it and drag it to the connection, but it would never connect or ask for a password.

I thought the configfree program might be storing old passwords or settings, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Bad idea. It failed to work at all after that, and I tried a few more times, getting it to work partially, but never got a peep that wireless was working. I did a system restore to before I has screwed with it, and that has given me limited functionality of configfee. The wireless radar part won't start, I get the generic windows "CFSServ.exe has encountered a problem...", and the connectivity doctor section offers two errors, "Diagnostics Database Open Error!" and "Error! Unable to load available bitmap." Now I can't even uninstall configfree anymore, as I get a an error from the Add/Remove programs utility "InstallShield Setup Launcher has encountered a problem..."

When I plug directly into the router, it sometimes connects to the internet, but currently it won't even connect that way.

From what I have gathered from forums, configfree is a finicky program that serves no purpose that the built-in windows Network Connections and Wireless Zero stuff can't handle. So, failing to get configfree to work, I tried to configure the machine to let windows take care of all the internet connections. I ran into more problems.

There have never been any connection icons in the Network Connections window from the control panel. None, even when the LAN was plugged in and working, and none even when configfree was gone. I'm used to seeing the LAN and wireless icons there in XP (on other machines), even if internet is not connected. The only icon there is an MSN icon that says a device is missing. the Wireless Zero service is enabled and started in the service list.

Also, on a lead from a related forum topic, I opened up the device manager. Never have I seen it, but the list was completely empty. To try to solve this, I made sure the plug and play service was going, and even checked registry permissions, but all was set correctly and the device manager was still empty.

So, I am stuck here. Can't get configfree to work, or even go away. Can't even begin to see any hints that windows can control internet connections, and a direct LAN connection won't reliably connect to the internet.

One last note: It appears that some 'computer repair/cleaning' joint that worked on her computer set windows to boot on a 'selective startup' in the msconfig window. Early in this futile fight, before the system restore, I tried a normal startup, and the number of processes jumped and the system try was so filled with icons that the CPU was pegged. Strangely, none of the processes or icons were sypware/malware/adware (I know that, at least), and they all belonged to programs that worked fine even in the selective startup. It boots fine now, in selective startup, since the system restore.

I just want the wireless to work, however I can.

If anyone has any ideas about solving any of these issues, as a group or individually, any insight would be appreciated greatly, even if it's a long shot.

Thanks for your time and for making it all the way through my post, at least.

-Owen

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you connect directly to the router with cable and try safe mode with networking
    keep tapping f8 as pc starts a menu appears choose safe mode with networking

try a TCP/IP reset
    Post back the service status
    lets see a xirrus screen shot

also have a read here re XP and SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914450 for no device manager items

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    {Services}
    post back the status - started/stopped and automatic/manual
    Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running.

Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
    Start > control panel > administrative tools > event Viewer

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Still only at SP2 after all this time implies to be that it's way past time to do a real cleaning--format the drive or partition and install/Recover XP and bring it up to date with SP3, IE8 and all subsequent critical updates.

4. owenbbug

owenbbug Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

Find attached the xirrus screenshot. The name of our router is SHASTA.

Also below is the CMD text from the IP reset instructions. The first command line failed, and the second one had similar errors, but said it successfully reset the winsock, and needed to restart. Just restarted, and it looks like the direct LAN connections is now working.

I checked the services you listed. All were started except 'computer browser', and when started, it said that it was started then stopped, possibly because it had no work to do. All were automatic except COM+ Ev. Sys., Network Connections, and Network Location Awareness, which were all manual.

Event log's only error on startup is the CFSServ.exe mentioned earlier.

Thanks,
    -Owen

============

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\SB>netsh int ip reset reset.log
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: NAPMONTR.DLL.
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DOT3CFG.DLL.

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [TOSHIBA-USER]. Some co
    mmands may not be available.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\SB>netsh winsock reset catalog
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: NAPMONTR.DLL.
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DOT3CFG.DLL.

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [TOSHIBA-USER]. Some co
    mmands may not be available.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.

C:\Documents and Settings\SB>

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you haven't already tried this disable encryption on the router and try to connect that way. If successful then re-enable encryption and try to reconnect.

If you can find a more recent XP driver for the wireless adapter you should install that.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!