Toshiba External USB not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kevier

Moms Toshiba External USB 3.0 USB Device (external Hard drive) not working right it has her photos and ect... on it but when i plug it in it doesn't show up under my computer it is installed because its in my devices i hope to get it working without formatting it please help

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4043 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1797 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 466265 MB, Free - 353000 MB;
Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Kevier

have tried 3 different laptops with win 7 and the same thing

it installs fine
but when its done nothing cant open or anything

valis

if you have tried 3 different laptops, chances are that usb key is toast. Did you have the pics backed up? If not, I'd say they are gone.

Kevier

no not backed up but like i said it does install and it powers up and can see it in my devices

no not backed up but like i said it does install and it powers up and can see it in my devices
Don't reformat just yet------
I know how important family pictures are---especially pictures of family members who have
passed on....

call best buy & ask for the Geek Squad---
ask them how much they want to get your pictures off a hard drive that might have failed----
then U can call around to private computer repair shops in your area----maybe a little cheaper.
this will cost some money to have the pictures recovered----
but if its worth the money too U--they can try
before U reformat & they are gone for good---

as a last resort I belive U can mail the drive to a data recovery lab & they
will try to take the drive apart & read the plates that way----
I believe this will be the most expensive option when U just have to have the data / pictures
back & are willing to spend hundreds of dollars
the price might have come down--last time I heard anything about sending the drive off to a
lab was not cheap.
James

just looking on Google I saw a offer from 60$ & one for 295$-----
if there is a best buy in your area I would start with them (geek squad)

valis

I'd say it's cooked, unfortunately. If windows doesn't see it, I'd try putting puppy linux on a usb key, boot to that (it runs onlly in RAM, no hd space used save swapfile), and see if you can get the data off.

If not, it's most likely gone. Not to beat a dead horse (or any horse, for that matter), but data you don't have backed up is data you neither want o rneed.

thanks,

v

It is possible that Disk Management will show your external disk as Foreign, Unknown, Not Initialized, or simply missing a drive letter. Here is a link that may help explain the situation and how to get it to work. Be very, very careful if you attempt any corrections to the disk or disk status, one wrong click can render all data lost. There is a lot of information in this link, take your time and read through it, you may decide it is best to get assistance from a repair facility, especially if you remain unsure. Continuing at your own risk, is a risk.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779854(v=ws.10).aspx

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online