1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba - HUB

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Knifey_au, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

I have a PC and Toshiba Laptop. They are both running windows XP Home with Service Pack 2.

the modem, the pc, and the toshiba are plugged into the HUB. I cannot even see the toshiba's shared files, or ping it. the toshiba can ping itself but thats it. (all three lights are lite on the HUB but the toshiba's light flashes like its continually looking for connection)

when i bridged both connections on the PC plugging one into the modem and one into the Toshiba(setting a gateway on the toshiba), i was able to share files but not go on the internet. this is as close as i have come.

Both PC and Toshiba have 192.168.0.x IP's assigned to them but no gateway.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would be really useful to know what kind of Internet you have, and the EXACT equipment, including the modem, any other connected equipment, and the O/S versions in use.

3. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

the internet is aDSL
    modem is Dlink300
    Toshiba satelite A10
    the PC and Toshiba are running windows XP with service pack2 installed (as stated in the original thread)

4. JohnWill

You're plugging two machines into a hub? What you really need is a broadband router if you want to share files and connect to the Internet on both. Even if you have multiple public IP addresses, the two machines are unlikely to be assigned the same subnet, so they won't see each other.

5. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

any idea why it's just the toshiba that can't see the internet?

6. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

on the toshiba >> Lan connection properties >> i unintalled "client" and when i went to install it it said "windows was unable to find any drivers for this device"

7. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

never mind that last question. I'd like to know if i should be able to share files between computers without the modem being in the equasion. because i can't.

8. tronh

tronh

Do your two computers have static IP addresses (manually assigned) or dynamic (assigned automatically). You said your ipconfig showed no gateway, so I doubt it is dynamic, unless DHCP is not set up correctly on your modem (which is *probably* set up as a router, though it may be in bridge mode, which means - as johnwill said - you will need a router to get both machines to see the internet connection).

If both machines are on the same subnet (192.168.0.x - mask 255.255.255.0) and connected to the hub and in the same workgroup, then they should be visible to each other in Network Neighborhood/Places. If they both have a default gateway address that is the IP address of the DSL modem, then they should both get to the internet (assuming modem is in router mode, as mentioned above).

9. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

modem doesnt have an IP, i dont udnerstand

10. JohnWill

A broadband modem does indeed have an IP address, it's your public IP address. Also, if you want to connect to the Internet using that modem, you're probably going to have to use DHCP to get all the parameters. Once again, without knowing the details of your ISP service contract, and the exact model of the modem, it's hard to advise you. Since I don't find any model 300 modem on D-Link's site, I don't really know what you have. :rolleyes:

11. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

12. Knifey_au

Knifey_au Thread Starter

AH You mean my internet IP adress?! I get a dynamic (as apposed to static) IP from my ISP.

13. JohnWill

I didn't realize D-Link sold stuff just to specific countries markets, but I guess it makes sense. I, of course, looked at plain www.dlink.com and didn't see it. :)

The details of your ISP's account are key here, because the modem in question supports several standards. If you have PPPoE, you need to configure for it and supply the name/password for the account. If you have the standard account with a single public IP address, only one machine on a connected hub will be able to connect to the Internet. All of these issues are neatly solved with a broadband router. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!