1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

toshiba keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tfarrell12, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tfarrell12

tfarrell12 Thread Starter

Hello I have a Toshiba satellite c655-s5049 system unit and every time I try to boot my laptop it goes to the screen with the Toshiba/intel/insyde logos, then it blacks out for a second and restarts.

I can only access setup utility and boot manager because it restarts before I can press f8 and select safe mode ect.

This has been really annoying because I was in the middle of a few things when this happened. also I am running windows 7 on this laptop if it helps at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes their time to try to help me.

2. bryanrseah

bryanrseah

Could be OS corrupted and that why it keeps rebooting. Is there any other information you can give?

3. tfarrell12

thanks for the reply. i cant get into windows at all to even do a f8, i dont have a recovery disc but i did make a boot repair disk from another laptop and it will let me do command prompt and i do a chkdsk and get nothing. also system restore doesnt work. if there was a way for me to do f8 and go into safemode that would be great but it shuts off right after the toshiba logo comes up.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Just to be clear....it shuts off ...shutsdown and does restart or doesn't restart?

5. tfarrell12

it just keeps restarting. it goes to the toshiba screen goes blank and reboots

6. Megabite

Megabite

Can you get into Bios and see if your Hard drive is shown by name

7. tfarrell12

yes the name is st9250315as (s2) that is the hdd/ssd and then it also says matshitadvd-ram uj890as (s4) and i think thats my dvd drive of course

8. bryanrseah

bryanrseah

So it stops before it even load windows vista?
    If that is the case could you boot up your boot disk and see if it is possible for it to get it back up and running.. Do reply to us know.

9. tfarrell12

well yes i put in the boot disk and it loads and gives me options to do a system recovery, or command prompt, and even automatic start up repair but none of those help .

10. bryanrseah

bryanrseah

can you try to enter into command prompt and then attempt to do these both

bootrec /FixMbr and bootrec /FixBoot

/FixMbr
    The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to
    remove non-standard code from the MBR.

bootrec /FixBoot
    The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
    The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
    The boot sector is damaged.
    An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

11. tfarrell12

it tells me /fixboot and /fixmbr is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file

12. Megabite

Megabite

Try just typing fixboot and fixmbr hit Enter key for each command

13. tfarrell12

still gives me the same thing. my path says X:\windows\RM> which is what is already there before i do any thing and i type all you told me to and i still get that error message

14. tfarrell12

THanks for all the help. you guys are great the fixboot worked and im back up and running.

15. Megabite

Megabite

Glad it worked....but why did it not work before?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice