1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba laptop 'check cable connection' hard drive or mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davephil, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

Hi. Called to a friends place; he has a toshiba satellite laptop (4gb,intel i3,640gb). Says the problem started when he left laptop running ie (was in youtube), came back and battery ran out. He also stated that the top,right-front of the laptop was unusually warm after this (hard drive area?). He plugged a/c in, and ever since then all he (and I) can get is the message "for atheros pcie ethernet controller
    check cable connection
    pxe-mof :existing intel pxe rom
    no bootable device -- insert book and press any key."
    I did searches on this error, and all pointed to hard drive (and possibly an incorrect boot order). I was able to get into bios, and it could see and recognize drive, but
    that's all. when I went into chg boot order, it was correct. I re-seated drive, and I tried to get into recovery, and after 5-10 seconds of 'loading', the laptop freezes. I took drive out, and have it hooked up to an usb external enclosure.It has 3 partitions, but o/s says only 1.4gb of data, the hidden partition (recovery files, I assume?) says 14.5gb, and the rest is around 600gb. I can't access drive or the data on it, so I can pretty much assume it's gone. Question; I have never seen a drive die so quickly, usually gives some warning, so could it be something else, like the drive controller on the mobo? I know the boot order was correct. I don't have a spare drive to try out, and if it's the mobo, couldn't that fry another drive? Thanks alot.

2. dai

dai

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

thanks. I d'l the utility. I can't run anything on notebook because I can't get beyond setup screen. hooking up the drive via usb external enclosure on another pc, I ran WD diagnostics. It recognized the model# of the drive, but could not go any further because of numerous errors on the drive. When doing the Windows error checking, it freezes the check about 10 minutes in, and doesn't go any further. I again used WD utilties, Erased the disk (seemed to work), then tried to re-format. The format freezes at 3% (let it stay there for 24hrs). So I guess, drive is fried. I'm going to order another drive, and use recovery disks to reinstall windows, and let's see what happens. thanks.

4. dai

dai

it does appear the drive has gone

5. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

trying to remember, but even if the drive was toast, I believe I should have been able to run memory diagnostics on boot-enabled cd?? I'm thinking, that maybe more than the drive is gone. but don't know any way to determine this, except to put in another drive and see? any thoughts?
    On a slightly different note, I have no recovery disks for this laptop. However, she has a 2nd toshiba laptop, almost exact same model# and purchased within 2 months of the other, which does have recovery disks. Could I not use these disks to reinstall windows, and use the COA on the dead laptop. (toshiba wants $30 for recovery disks-trying to save her $$)

6. dai

dai

try running memtest with the hard drive removed

as long as both have the same chipset the recovery should work

7. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

thanks--actually, I did try running it with h/d removed (should have said that). cd spins up, but nothing loads. Also tried running one of his games that runs from the cd, that didn't load either. Also, not sure if it's relevent, but when I had the h/d out, I was receiving the same error message as when it was installed. That seemed odd to me, too.

8. dai

dai

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice