1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop - Drops Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rvkmbrown, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rvkmbrown

rvkmbrown Thread Starter

We have two identical laptops - purchased two months ago, at the same time at BestBuy. I think its there entry level Satellite laptop L455-S5975. With Vista blah/blah.

We operate both wirelessly - one works great, no problems.
    The other one works okay - but drops internet connection frequently.

Any suggestions?

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

Personally I do my best to use wired Ethernet because it tends to be faster, more reliable, and more secure. Of course that doesn't answer your question :p

Does Toshiba (or whoever manufactured the wireless card) use their own proprietary wireless connection manager? I've had trouble with both D-Link and Linksys wireless components when using their connection management software. If you can disable or uninstall that and have Windows manage your connections you could solve the connectivity issues. Worked on both of the described D-Link and Linksys situations above.

3. rvkmbrown

rvkmbrown Thread Starter

Thanks - I am going to be working on this issue this Sunday. I'll use this info and get back to you with the findings.

BTW - Whats the best way to determine if I have another wireless connection manager? I use Clear for my internet needs. I run my desktop via Ethernet. Then I have installed a Linksys router to run the laptops wirelessly.

4. hulkinator

hulkinator

Do you remember what you used/did to set up your wireless connection on your laptop?

You could also submit a HijackThis log. It should show if there is extra software running to manage your wireless connection.

To download HijackThis, go to http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/. Install it, restart, and then run the program. Run a scan and create a log, and then post it here.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make sure the wireless driver is upto date on the other machine

Are both machines working next to each other - just to make sure its on the same wireless signal, same router , same ISP
    Otherwise it could be a number of issues

BUT
    put them both next to each other and next to the wireless router to start with

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice