1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop: (False?) Warning with cooling system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pradhan, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Hello! I have 2 Toshiba Laptops, and amazingly both suddenly present "Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected...". One laptop is 3 months old, and the 2nd is 2 years old. It seems to me that these are false warnings as once they are clicked off, they disappear for a long time. The units don't feel warm at all. A Google search reveals lots of these issues. Since both machines were recently upgraded to W10, I thought it could be some software conflict, but after restoring both back to W8.1, the warnings continue. I loaded SpeedFan to monitor and adjust the temperatures and fans, but SpeedFan reports no spiking temperatures ever...all monitors running cool as a cuke.
    I contacted Toshiba, and one service rep refused to acknowledge an awareness of such a problem, and a second seemed to suggest some conflict with Windows.
    So I am up here at Techguys to see if anyone has heard of this problem and may have a solution. There is always the concern that the warning may be real and something is cooking inside. I suppose I could open the case up and blow out everything, but the one notebook is only 3 months old.
    Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    When do you see the warnings, before or after Windows is up and running ?

Please post the model details for both laptops.

I think you could risk working on the older laptop youself but the newer one should be under warranty so sending it in for a repair is an option to consider.

3. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

1) The older laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P55-A5200. Intel i5 3337U CPU, 6 GIG RAM, 750Gig Hard Drive
    The newer one is a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5250. Intel i5 5200U 8GB RAM, 1T Hard Drive
    2) Definitely AFTER Windows boots up. So curious that it began on both AFTER an upgrade to W10, but now continues that 8.1 has been restored on both. nd while it occurs randomly, I can definitely invoke it when streaming from the internet, eg, hulu or something like that
    3) The new one is going back.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Thanks...I am wondering if it is possible that either W10, or a Toshiba upgrade in response to W10, installs a driver that remains resident even after restoring back to W8? Toshiba is certainly not suggesting this as a possibility. Update: I had mentioned that the CPUs are running cool as a cuke. True for the new machine. For the older machine they are a little warm (55 C, 131F). This is a little above the warning temp for the high side, so maybe the warnings are legit.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The maximum temperature for the Intel Core i5-3337U processor and the Intel Core i5-5200U processor is 105 degrees Centigrade.
    Your laptops are well within the temperature range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Yet I am still getting the overheating warnings. That's why I am fairly certain they are false warnings. I can click OK to acknowledge them and they disappear for hours. I am watching the monitoring the temp and there are no spiles.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you know what software is causing those warnings ? I doubt it's 10 itself. Maybe something from Toshiba that you installed on both computers ?

9. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

It's so non-descript, I can't tell.
    Warning.jpg

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I 'googled' the error message and it seems to come from a Toshiba software called 'Value Added Package' so if you have that uninstall it and let me know if that stops the message appearing please.

11. GUVEN

GUVEN

First Name:
    GUVEN
    My story is exactly same as yours. After upgrading to win 10 the message "Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately, and return it for service" appeared on the screen.

12. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Misery loves company! Here's the real dilemna, and this also seems to be common based on my googling. I restored back to W8.1 BUT EVEN AFTER RESTORING to pre-problem W8.1 from an image, I am still getting the alert. If feels like the W10 install updated a driver or caused Toshiba to update some driver that doesn't disappear. Ugh. Let me know if you find anything that works, cause I got nothing!

13. GUVEN

GUVEN

First Name:
    GUVEN
    There is just one thing left that I haven't done yet. I am triying to find the last version of Eco Utility Software suitable for Win 10. I placed the laptop on my dumbells in order to keep them in a higher position to observe fan blowing but i can't feel any air blowing or any blowing sound. As if the fan is not working properly. As you mentioned in your previous message when you monitor the temperature values they are not so high to receive such a message. Anyway, I would like to know any solution you could find too. Thank you.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did either of you try the above ?

15. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Sorry, missed this message, but yes. Disabled all Toshiba start items and services.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice