1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba laptop freezes up after a few minutes.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpo312, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpo312

cpo312 Thread Starter

My Toshiba Satellite laptop when I turn on the power button starts up but freezes up after running for a few minutes. After freezing up I have to turn it off with the power button. When I try to turn it on again it will not start, the power light comes on, the battery light turns on and also the fan turns on but the hard disk drive light will not turn on and the screen is black. I leave the laptop turned off for a few hours and then when I turn it on again, it will start up for a few minutes and then freezes up and there is no activity in the system.

I observed that when the system freezes up, there is no hard disk drive light and the laptop just shuts down. I managed to re-install windows xp despite the constant freezing but with the new windows xp intall, the freezing-up continues. The system freezes and when I turn the power off and on again, it does not come up on the screen. The screen remains black. My memory module is good because I checked it on another system and it works just fine. I know it is not memory and software related problems. It is a hardware problem but which? Please help someone. OS is Windows XP.

2. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

sounds like your hard drive is starting to fail on you. if i were you i would locate another laptop hard drive, maybe you have an extra one or from a friend. then install it in your computer and see if it still freezes up. formatting will not help. how old is the hard drive? if its newer it could still be under warranty and you may be able to get it replace for free. i have a western digital hard drive and it has a 5 year warranty. once u are sure that its the hard drive buy a new one or get it replaced with the warranty if you have one.

3. cpo312

cpo312 Thread Starter

Thanks I will try and replace hard disk drive

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice