1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop Graphics/Video problem after factory reset (pics)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by doesnotkompute, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doesnotkompute

doesnotkompute Thread Starter

Hello all, this is a 6 year old Toshiba laptop that was having some general lag/bloat/popup issues so I just did a factory reset and completely downloaded all Windows Updates.. But, after the factory reset, it started having video issues. You can browse the web without much problem as long as you aren't on pages with videos or lots of images, but if you start watching videos and graphics intensive pages, the videos will (sometimes) go bizerk (like the one on Facebook posted below) or just random odd discolored/graphics pixelation in random places on the screen, or, it will just go blue screen (picture also shown of that). This doesn't happen immediately or constantly, but it happens enough to make the computer practically unusable. I searched the Toshiba site for an updated video driver and the newest file was from 2009, the year the computer was bought, and it didn't work anyway.

I have tried everything I know, but I remember having a similar issue with an XP desktop once and it turned out to be a simple patch. But, I don't know what to do with this. Is this a software issue or is something with the hardware going bad?

Videos often do this, and often this distortion appears randomly in small areas on the monitor. A blue screen frequently follows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You are probably using the wrong video driver installed by MS under updates.
    I suspect the driver from 2009 is the best driver for the laptop. It is not a good idea to simply update drivers for the sake of getting something newer. If it isn't broken, and it sounds like the video was working okay before you did the restore, then do not update the driver.

Unless you post the exact model of Toshiba, we can not link you to the chipset drivers because in a laptop, chances are good that the video is a chip on your motherboard and not a video card.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Provide the model name(Satellite, Satellite Pro, etc.) of that Toshiba laptop.

Also provide its COMPLETE model number - which will be 2 sets of characters separated by a dash.

Once it's correctly identified, its support site can be located.

---------------------------------------------------------

I've been on here for several hours today, so I'm shutting down for the rest of the day.

You're in good hands with Liz.

4. 34m0922

34m0922 Account Closed

did you install KB3064209? if installed try uninstall KB3064209 by going to start menu, windows updates, installed updates and uninstall KB3064209

5. doesnotkompute

Hey all, I appreciate the replies. I tried to uninstall KB3064209 but unfortunately that didn't do that trick. I was able to browse and watch a few videos for about 10 minutes, then the whole screen flashed, and I got the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" (pic 3) and then it went to the same old blue screen. I didn't see any distortions or pixelations this time, though, but I have only crashed once since removing the update above, so I"m not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

I'm really not in the position to buy a new laptop...if anyone has ANY good idea please share.

PS-- this is a SATELLITE L505D-GS6000 model, serial no. 1A345307Q

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite L505D-GS6000 (PSLV6U-01F009)

It originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It appears to have ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics.

The Windows 7 64-bit graphics driver listed for it is version 8.634.1 and is dated September 2009.

If you go here, then navigate to

Integrated Motherboard Graphics
    Radeon Integrated HD Series
    Radeon HD 4200 Series
    Windows 7-64 Bit

then click "Display Results", Catalyst Software Suite 13.9 will appear.

Its driver version is 8.97.100.11 and is dated October 2013.

-------------------------------------------------

7. 34m0922

34m0922 Account Closed

windows updates might install KB3064209 again, try disable "install updates automatically" by going to start menu, windows update, change settings, disable "install updates automatically" and then uninstall KBKB3064209 again
    [​IMG]

8. doesnotkompute

Still searching for a solution, guys. Please help.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you read post #6 and tried installing the more updated graphics driver?

10. doesnotkompute

It looks like this was the solution, but I am still waiting to see if any problems pop up. As far as the KB3064209 update, I had already uninstalled that and, instead of disabling automatic updates, I just right clicked on the update list and chose to "hide" KB3064209 from future updates. I'm wondering if that was contributing to the problem at all, but since it's an optional update, I just hid it and forgot about it.

Anyway, thanks for everything. If this doesn't work out, I'll be back to this thread.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Installing the updated graphics driver worked?

12. doesnotkompute

Yes the updated graphics driver worked, and I've had no problems since. Thanks again.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

-----------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice