toshiba laptop hinge snapped, screen still working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bp936

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
3,033
did the following ever happen to anyone else? : I opened my Toshiba laptop like always, moved lid to position to see screen, hinges seem to have made a cratching noise but there was no resistance.:confused:
Next thing when I looked what is happening, one side of the hinge seems to have been broken, snapped the plastic that keeps the LCD to the keyboard. I can see wires, can't close lid and the back of the LCD is bulging. :eek:
It is a 4 year old machine, EVERYTHING ELSE works still fine, programs, screen, no distortion or anything. But the front panel is loose in the frame. I don't know what to do now, try to fix and glue it together myself? Is it worth repairing? It is an excellent laptop and always worked well.
 

dustyjay

Jay
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
12,661
you could go to Toshiba and see if the parts are available to replace anything that is broken. Hinges and case parts if available shouldnt be too expensive.
 
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
112
Besides fixing it, maybe you could find a docking station for it, and use it like a desktop for the rest of its life. This wouldn't be the best recourse, but if it is a piece of the actual monitor, that will cost probably more than the laptop is worth. If its not a piece of the monitor, by all means, fix it!! :)

I understand the docking station thing defeats the protability of a laptop, but I think toting that thing around in its current condition will do nothing but harm it, and eventually make it completely inoperable.

-Gonz
 

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Messages
106,722
FWIW, I've been successful in fixing a couple of these with epoxy and some solid wire. I disassemble the machine, and then drill small holes to wire the parts together. When I get it all arranged, I epoxy it, and wire the parts together. You may have to grind a little epoxy off to make everything fit after it dries.
 

bp936

Thread Starter
Joined
Oct 13, 2003
Messages
3,033
thanks all for your input. I will look around for Toshiba parts, also when the Toshiba phonelines open up this week again, I'll ask what and for how much it can be fixed, but I will keep in mind about the docking.
I will have to learn about docking then, it has a wireless port but I never used it, maybe this will be the time to find out what else I can do with it.
I have too many files on the drive, so right now I am trying to backup everything to an external harddrive (Maxtor).
And the last resort will be to try to glue part together again, that's what I usually do, if nothing else helps, take things apart and see what I can do, have a 90 % success rate (the other 10 % I have leftover parts with whatever I took apart)
thanks again, just wanted to get a feel if this ever happened to anybody else, I never heard of a laptop braking down because of the hinges.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

Top