1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba laptop led codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozwiz, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a trusty old Toshiba 5100 laptop which is giving me some aggro. It runs Win XP and has worked OK for years.

Recently I changed the RTC battery and when restarting I got the following power LED code (S=short, L=long): SSSS SSLS

From what I have read on the web this could mean 20h, 02h, or 40h depending on how the binary to hex conversion is done. Can anyone please tell me the correct code and what it means?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    SSSS SSLS
    since short = 0 and long = 1, the code would be 0000 0010
    However the correct order is the other way round, least significant bit first: 0100 0000

so that should be 40

whats the exact model of the laptop

3. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Thanks Wayne,

From the label on back:

Toshiba Satellite 5100 System Unit
    Model No. PS511T-08N0J
    Serial no. 92047975J
    Made in Japan

I'm in Sydney Australia so it was probably Australian stock. It has the Mobile Pentium 4 processor and 500 MB of ram and 40 GB HD.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Yes, thanks, that is my problem. All the Toshiba sites and many support groups have put it in the category of legacy I guess, even though there were many thousands of the Satellite 5100 sold only a few years ago. Like me, it is ready for the bin.

It is reasonable to assume though, that Toshiba led codes are at least similar across several models of five/six years ago, and any information would be better than none.

Does anyone out there have an "old" Toshiba maintenance manual, and maybe give me a vague clue as to what Toshiba led code SSSSSSLS or 00000010 or 40h means, for any laptop model around 2004-5?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    would you do the following

Model:

* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get model
    * Press Enter

7. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Sorry but the machine won't boot, the flashing led codes are displayed immediately after pressing the power-on button.

Before I press the power-on button, with the AC adapter connected, the green AC power icon and the orange battery icon are ON which is normal. Within two seconds of pressing the power-on button, the green light turns orange and starts flashing the code, and and it won't stop until I remove the battery and/or AC power.

So I can't get anywhere near a Windows boot to do what you ask, but thanks anyway.

I have already partly dismantled the system twice to test that the battery is receiving charge, which it is, and also that the new RTC battery is charged, which it is. Incidentally the machine is in pristine condition inside, and I took the opportunity of re-seating the cpu to its heat sink and cleaning dust from the cooling module.

[Possibly irrelevant: The only mystery I found inside is that there is a mini-coax cable (in a harness to the rear panel) the mini-coax connector of which is floating around unconnected to anything -two others go to the modem board) but the Toshiba assembly / dismantle instructions say that this connects to the "HDD/battery board" but there is no sign of a matching socket for the little devil and I don't remember having to disconnect it.The instructions cover several models so maybe this cable is for an unfitted option]

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Thank you, now I'm getting close.
    Yes, I did replace the heat sink compound.
    I'm going to open the damn think up yet once more to find out why that S3V voltage is low - hopefully it's zero due to a a connector or something simple. If not there might have to be a laptop funeral.
    I'll let you know the result but it might be a few days, thanks again for all your help.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y)

11. Ozwiz

Ozwiz Thread Starter

Three weeks later:
    Well, sadly, it's not something simple, probably a surface mount regulator chip or similar.
    Without a circuit diagram I have to admit defeat on this one.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice