Toshiba laptop powers off when unplugged; wont boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

killrNstinx

I have a Toshiba laptop from 2015. My current state is when unplugged its like a brick. no lights, nothing. when i plug it in, it turns on as normal, but fails to boot, getting stuck at the screen that says toshiba. I use this laptop daily, never had any problems with it. i tried to unplug, take battery out, press power button for 30 seconds, yadayada the residual power thing, with no luck. tried system restore as i thot it to maybe be software at first, but now i think it may be a power circut, but im no expert. 2 other important points, i downloaded from frostwire earlier in the day, and also when i noticed it not charging upon inspection of the power cord, noticed my tiny dog made one small bite on the power side of the cord, exposing the copper wire just a tiny bit. I dont know if that was done by the dog at that moment when it started to not work, or if it was there for some time maybe weeks.. any further help would be much appreciated. thanks

plodr

Liz
You need to get a new power cord/adapter. Copper wires exposed - not good.

OverTallman

Jacky
You need to get a new power cord/adapter. Copper wires exposed - not good.
On the other hand if you're adventurous you can try fixing the cord, there are many approaches:
  1. Replace the whole cord
  2. Use heat shrink tube to cover exposed wires
  3. Cut away and re-solder the cables
I went with the last approach when I fixed a Dell power adapter as the damage is near the brick.

DeskRoll

Max
Do I get it that it boots up okay when the battery is in? And when there's no battery, it gets stuck at Toshiba screen, right?

plodr

Liz
If there is no display ever then the video chip has died. Since the chip can't be replaced in a laptop, you have 3 choices:
1. buy another laptop
2. buy a new motherboard with a working video chip that is the exact match for your laptop and replace the current motherboard
3. Send the laptop away to have the video chip desoldered and a new chip soldered in its place.

Option 1 is probably the cheapest. You could sell the broken video laptop and someone might buy it for parts like: RAM, keyboard, hard drive, optical drive and screen.

I have a dell inspiron n4110 now..the isue its have a display but only a color blue display but not a blue screen error..when i turn on the unit..automatic blue display,,,but not have any imge at all,,even i try to acces in bios mode...cannot access.what can i do,,,help me for this....

plodr

Liz
ronjvamine, you really need to start your own thread.

This thread deals with a Toshiba that powers off when unplugged.. You jump in with a dell Inspiron with screen issues! That is not related to the original post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online