1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop Questions Running Windows 8.1 (Updates)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Jack1000, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I will get the following message "Restart your computer to finish installing updates. Automatic restart will occur in "X" days, where "X" represents the number of days before the restart:

1.) When will the computer restart? Unlike my Windows 7 desktop PC, there seems to be no way to regulate the time interval?

2.) Will the auto restart occur if the laptop is in sleep mode with the lid closed and plugged into an AC outlet? Early indicators are in my case, I had the computer in sleep mode and the next day, the updates did not install. I had to restart manually to get them.

3.) All updates for Windows on the laptop are set to auto update and default settings.

Jack

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With this choice my advice is to just accept whatever grief Microsoft chooses to inflict, and be prepared to love Windows 10 in which they are preparing to remove almost 100% of any user influence on updates.

My choice is to select "notify me when updates are available." Sometimes that works and sometimes the downloads are done without my knowledge, but at least I get to choose which updates and to say when an install and a restart will occur.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Regrettably we hijacked Jack1000's original question... sorry Jack :(

However, the info in this Thread from Post #2 onwards is good info. Would it be possible to cut the info from Post #2 onwards and move it to the W10 Forum..?

T.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Lucky maybe but I have been doing all the Updates for 8 and 8.1 and have no problems. On one 8 machine preparing to get to the eventual free Upgrade to 8.1 the restart message mentioned "14 days" to the restart unless of course it went sooner.

Others differ.... 3 days, about that amount. The after-the-Upgrade-to 8.1 cumulative Update FOR 8.1 was done and no problems from that either

LOTS of Updates of various kinds to do......the readiness tool makes it simpler. The manufacturer may have a tool to check the system while online for software and drivers you may need BEFORE trying for 8.1 . Then, the MS Readiness tool is a good thing to run....

That was on a Toshiba L855 - and I made sure to install the latest Toshiba updates and drivers for what it told me was needed.... they have you use the Microsoft readiness tool, and that went OK, so I took the plunge. I had done a full Reset on that one, which had shipped with Windows plain 8. There was some software to install first, for the built in webcam, and there is always a new version of memory card readers.... I see this on every OEM type laptop.

Make sure you have the correct time, date and Time Zone settings or you won't be getting Updates.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice