Toshiba laptop stalled ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TMaslanka

I have taken on the task to help someone who cannot afford a new PC. He has a Pentium Toshiba laptop. After I enter the password I get a invalid disk error ,please remove. There is no floppy drive in the PC only a CD drive. He has no floppy drive. Maybe I can get into the bios and have it first boot to the hard drive. Thanks Tom

Max19

Account Disabled
What password are you entering? Is it to connect to the internet? Is it to log into Windows? Is it prompting for a password as soon as you turn it on? What operating system is running on the computer?

We need more information.

TMaslanka

The response for the password comes right after a line"copyright 1996 Toshiba corp. all rights reserved.
Memory Initialize 81664KB Password =entered Valid password entered. system is now starting up. Replace the disk, then press any key. Iguess its Windows 95 not connected to anything. Its a Toshiba Tecra 720CDT I cannot get into the bios. Thanks for your help, Tom

Max19

Account Disabled
Sounds like the computer has a startup password set. The only way to clear it is to reset the BIOS. It's easy to do on a desktop, but I wouldn't know where to start looking on a laptop. You'd probably have to take the whole thing apart. Unless someone here can help you with that, the computer is worthless. Your friend will have to buy a different computer.

If I read this right, you are able to enter a valid password, but it wont continue to boot. That would indicate a problem with the hard drive, or with the boot sequence in the bios. When you say you cant get into the bios, do you mean you dont know the keys to get in, or you get an error when you try, or what?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Have you tried F 1 or ESC to enter the bios setup?

TMaslanka

Yes I have tried all these combo. Wrote to Toshiba , still waiting.
Thanks , Tom

If holding down ESC during boot doesnt do anything, try generating an error on bootup by holding down a random key, sometimes you will get an error and it will say 'press X to continue, X to setup' It could be that the setup program is on the hard disk, and if the disk fails, you might not be able to get at it. If you have a bootable cdrom, try that. Next step would be to remove the hard drive, usually that is pretty easy on a laptop. There are adapters that will let you connect a laptop drive to a regular pc, where you can test it, copy OS files, and use the sys command to make it bootable. By the way, I would be amazed if you got a reply from Toshiba

:cool: lol yeah i emailed toshiba with a start problem and dude thanks cuz now i know what to(get a connector cuz i am missing startup files)TOSHIBA STILL HAS NOT REPLIED I SENT THEM LIKE 600 EMAILS LOL LIKE A MONTH AGO AnD STILL: NoT A WORD LOL:cool: :cool: :rolleyes: PS.I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online