1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop to Toshiba LCD HDTV as primary monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dizzydean, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dizzydean

dizzydean Thread Starter

I wonder if there are any Techheads out there looking for a challenge?

I have a new Toshiba LCD HDTV that I want to use as the primary and only monitor for my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

I want to eliminate the laptops screen altogether.

I would like to know if there exists a connector or some other way to connect my laptops ribbon cable output to a VGA output and then to the HDTV via a VGA cable; or if there is a better way to go?

The screen on this 4year old laptop got cracked so I have to spend at least $75.00 for parts alone and if I go that way I might as well buy another laptop, or use a desktop with a wireless keyboard which will cost more than $100.00 to set up.

Besides, this seems like a kinda cool fix so if anyone has any bright Ideas, please respond.
    Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG

Are you talking about the laptop's internal cable that connects the motherboard to the built-in LCD panel or some other kind of output connector on the outside of the laptop?

If you are talking about the internal cable, there is probably no easy way to convert the signals on the cable to any kind of VGA compatible signals and timing. Exactly what kind of built-in video outputs are included on the laptop?

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Whats the Exact Model of the Machine - If it has a VGA connector , just use that - one of the F keys and the FN keys will toggle the output to the VGA only

I will move to hardware forum

4. dizzydean

dizzydean Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba A15-S127. Are you saying that one of the F keys will toggle the task bar and the Icons to the VGA out put?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    one of the F keys will toggle the display - so what ever is on the screen - taskbar, icons every thing and work as a monitor - with the exception, i think , that it will not display the startup so windows needs to be running first - I think thats the case , but on one of my old HP machines I seem to remember it also doing the startup

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice