1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba laptop unable to toggle monitor choice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by homeslarry, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. homeslarry

homeslarry Thread Starter

Previously, when I hit F5 and fn simultaneously, I would get a choice of laptop, external monitor, or TV. Now when I hit F5 and fn keys, the screen goes black and no choices appear. I have a Toshiba A105 S4324 with Windows 7. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the display often depends on what is connected to the actual PC

what is connected to the laptop ?

3. homeslarry

Nothing is connected to laptop. In the past, with nothing connected, I would get a screen showing the choice of laptop, external monitor/tv or both. I get a black/blank screen when I hit fn f5.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what happens if you connect an external monitor to vga - usually you would get

Laptop Only
    Laptop and external monitor
    Blank Laptop and external monitor
    each time you toggled

does it still work OK

5. homeslarry

First, thanks for your input. Don't have an external monitor, or know what the VGA is. My external use is an svideo for the tv. For the sake of your suggestion, I've made the connection to the tv with no picture or selection of monitor changes. Hope that's understandable.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. homeslarry

Thanks again for your guidance. When I go to the link above, it gives me a whole page of updates to download. Is there one specific by date or subject for me to use? Thanks again.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, you need the one for your operating system and the latest video driver

whats listed as the graphics cards in device manager on the PC
    under display ?
    if you goto the desktop and right click on a blank area - graphic properties

if you run www.belarc.com - that should also tell us - dont post all the details in belarc, as it has your keys

9. homeslarry

Sorry, I can't remember how to get to the Device Manager. Display properties is set up for Multiple Display; primary notebook, secondary TV. The hot keys are enabled, but show ctrl alt F1 -F3 for display changes? rather than FnF5. I'll go back to the downloads and try that again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice