1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Laptop will not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haymac, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haymac

haymac Thread Starter

Hi
    I urgently need help. Today i was burning photos onto a cd and my computer froze. It is a toshiba Satellite A200 Notebook. I crashed my computer and restarted it. From here I have not been able to get it to start. The computer turns on fine, says that windows is loading files, and the start up repair window appears. It goes through searching for problems and says that startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. When i click on finish or cancel , the computer does the same process again and goes in circles. If i go to advanced options for system recovery it gives me a list of options. I have tried them all except recovery. I dont want to do this option as Im scared i will loose all the photos i have on this computer. HELP!! What do I do!!!! I have a feeling this is a memory problem? If so, where do i go from here??

2. BG-0

BG-0

If you really care that much about the photos, connect the laptop's hard drive to a desktop computer before you do anything else, and copy the files you need to safety.

After that (or while doing that, you don't need the hard drive for this), you could try running Memtest86 (download ISO: http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip , unzip, burn to a CD with a ISO image burning capable program, CDBurrnerXP for example, then boot from the CD on the laptop (go to BIOS, set the DVD drive as the primary boot device), let it run for a full pass, if it crashes before completing, then there's most probably something wrong with the power inverter or motherboard, if it comes up with errors, then the memory is bad)

3. haymac

haymac Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I think this problem is way beyond what I am capable of dealing with. I have no idea of what most of that means so I think I need to pass on that info to someone who does! I know what a CD drive is, USB ports, Mouse , Ram and that's about it! I will however pass this info on to a proper IT Tech. Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Up to this point this doesn't need any tech skills, maybe a little hand-to-hand guidance, but no need to pay anyone yet.. Stick around...

5. BG-0

BG-0

So, download the zipped ISO I linked earlier (onto another computer). Unzip (you know how to? I hope so... Ask if you don't..) Then, download this: http://cdburnerxp.se/download.php Install. Run the program. There will be a pop-up. Choose the first option, Data disk. Browse to where the ISO was unzipped to. Drag the ISO file into the blank list/area on the lower right. It will prompt you whether to burn as an ISO image, click OK/Yes. It will close the main program and open a burning window, just click Burn disk. It'll take about 20 secs.
    Now, take the burnt CD (hopefully not charred, only with data burnt onto it), if needed (if the tray doesn't open otherwise) power up your laptop, insert the CD, power up, or restart in case you needed to power up earlier, go to BIOS/Setup by hitting F1, F2, Delete, or whatever the key is on your laptop, it should say it in the first startup screen.
    Find Bootup options or similar, set the primary boot device to your DVD drive. Press F10 or select "restart and save settings", and cofirm. You'll now see it go to a blue memory test screen, let it fuss around until you see "Pass complete" and No errors, or amount of errors. Post the results, and afterwards, change the primary boot device back to the hard drive.

6. haymac

haymac Thread Starter

Wow! thanks! May take me a while so Will have a look at it in the morning. Thanks again for your help!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice