Toshiba Laptop won't start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tzadikt

Hello,

I am in dire need of assistance. I have an older Toshiba laptop that is either a L55 or something for the model from 2012 (don't think this is that important) that won't start up. It was working fine as of last night, it isn't a virus or anything, and I do not believe it recently updated to my knowledge. It is still running Windows 7 and has been pretty good and reliable until now. This is what happened this morning when I went to boot it up:

• Turned it on and it brought up the screen that it did not turn off properly, giving me the basic prompt of launch startup repair or start windows normally.
    • It does say windows error recovery at the top of the screen, and along the lines of windows failed to start because of a possible hardware/software change.
    • When clicking either of the options, it will load up for a few seconds, and then get to a black screen where the mouse is frozen in the center and do nothing.
      • Sometimes it will then show a super quick flash (maybe 0.5 seconds) of a blue screen I can't read it, and then goes back to the did not turn off properly screen.
So I'm guessing it is something to do with windows maybe? I have also tried going in safe mode (all options), rebooting with the most recent configuration, taking out the battery and unplugging everything, but nothing has worked so far...

I'm not a tech expert, but I have some basic knowledge. Trying to give you guys as much info as possible, but I'm not exactly sure what the problem is or where to look. Is it possible it could be a hardware issue like the hard drive being too old or something? I guess it would best to identify the problem and go from there, but I'm not sure how or what I'm looking for... I tried the BIOS thing, but again I don't know what I'm doing/what I'm looking for.

Ideally I would like to fix it, but mainly I need what is on the hard drive. I am graduate student, and have some important work on there I would like to recover ASAP, and would appreciate any help or assistance! I will also be around and checking the thread regularly if anyone has questions/needs more info etc.

Any help would best amazing, thank you in advance!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello! It's quite possible that an update has caused this issue, however not going to safe mode is worrisome.

Does it mention any error in the Windows Recovery screen?

Tzadikt

Hello! It's quite possible that an update has caused this issue, however not going to safe mode is worrisome.

Does it mention any error in the Windows Recovery screen?
Not that I know of, but where exactly could I look or find out? The screen is mainly generic and says just a possible hardware/software issue. So it doesn't seem to say anything specific. Is there a way to identify what or confirm?

And yeah safe mode is exactly the same. It tries to boot up, but then the screen freezes and doesn't progress. I wonder if there is way to revert or reset without losing files. That would help too.

TerryNet

Terry
Can you get into the BIOS and run a diagnostic on the hard drive? That would be my first step, if it can be done.

Tzadikt

Can you get into the BIOS and run a diagnostic on the hard drive? That would be my first step, if it can be done.
How exactly do I do that? I have a few options and can get into the BIOS, but can't see an option for that. I tried some system restore thing using F12 (setup) to do a hdd/repair or something and now it is...

I was trying to play around with it, and I may have made it even worse now. When it boots up, it now brings up a black screen saying PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable. Also something about patents and PXE-M0F exciting PXE ROM, reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media. It doesn't load up like regular any more either.

In panic mode now this is not good. Really hope this can be solved as I don't want to take this to the store and have to pay some crazy fee or lose everything. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

plodr

Liz
When you see PXE, it means the computer is not seeing any boot devices like a hard drive or a USB stick so it is looking for a network drive. Since you are not on a business network, that is why it fails to boot.

I suspect your hard drive is having problems.

Tzadikt

When you see PXE, it means the computer is not seeing any boot devices like a hard drive or a USB stick so it is looking for a network drive. Since you are not on a business network, that is why it fails to boot.

I suspect your hard drive is having problems.
I was in the BIOS and hit enter on the boot area where the hard drive is mentioned as I was trying to look into doing the diagnostic thing. Other than that the only thing else I really did was the system restore thing, but it just froze like regular as it was behaving yesterday so I just turned it off. If that is what is causing this new problem, how can I revert it back? When I go into BIOS the hard drive listed is the same and nothing looks different so I'm not sure why this is happening...

TerryNet

Terry
There's no doubt that the hard drive is defective. Maybe you can get stand-alone diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer to try to determine the extent of damage.

Tzadikt

There's no doubt that the hard drive is defective. Maybe you can get stand-alone diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer to try to determine the extent of damage.
If that is the case, does that mean everything is gone? Can I still attempt to connect it to an external USB thing and salvage what is left or am I completely screwed?

TerryNet

Terry
I have no idea the extent of damage. If you have some data not backed up try to retrieve what you can. Using an external USB enclosure is one way.

Tzadikt

I have no idea the extent of damage. If you have some data not backed up try to retrieve what you can. Using an external USB enclosure is one way.
Okay, thanks. I will try that later and see what happens. Going to hope for the best.

Tzadikt

If necessary you can use this to make a bootable Usb stick to test the hard drive :- https://www.seagate.com/files/old-support-files/seatools/USBbootSetup-SeaToolsBootable.zip

Unzip it into a folder then read the ReadMeFirst.SeaToolsBootable.txt file for instructions.

You may have to go into the Bios or use the boot menu to change the boot device to Usb.
I downloaded that on a USB, turned it on and went to the BIOS and changed the boot setting thing to USB first ahead of the hard drive, but nothing changed. Still gives me that error of like no bootable device.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Did you run the SeaToolsBootable_RC_2.1.2.usbBootMaker.exe file in the download to make the Usb stick ? The Usb stick has to be 32GB or less and Fat32.

Tzadikt

Did you run the SeaToolsBootable_RC_2.1.2.usbBootMaker.exe file in the download to make the Usb stick ? The Usb stick has to be 32GB or less and Fat32.
I did not at first... but I just did and it says the installer/data is corrupt and won't install. Is there another link to it somewhere?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online