1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba laptop won't start...!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lina, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lina

Lina Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and recently, my dad ordered extra memory for it since it has been running so slow (I have alot of raw images and programs for Graphics). Tonight we tried putting it in, all as directed. After we finished, we tried turning the computer on, but nothing happened, however, the power light came on and also the lights that show that the battery is charging and that it is plugged in. And the power light turns on and off when I push the power button. We tried putting the old memory card, but still the same result. Is it fried and I need to get a new one, or is it that something (like a cord or something) is loose? Would anyone be able to help me? I would much appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Lina

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    check you are putting the memory module in correctly - that may be all it is - I assume you are sure the new module you put in was for that laptop -
    its possible the new module has damaged the laptop in some way .....

so nothing happens on boot

3. Lina

Lina Thread Starter

It was ordered specifically for my laptop and it seems to be the right one. But like I said, I tried putting the old memory card (one of the ones that was in there before) back in, so that the original 2 are in there, but like before, nothing happened. I could try putting them in again, just to make sure they fit right, but they seemed to fit pretty snug and clicked in place. Is there anything else it could be? Because I've had it shut down on me like that before...but it came back on after I let it rest a little bit. But this time....nothing. Also, it seems that they've extended my warranty on the type of laptop I've had, so I could get it fixed for free, would this count as something warranty would cover?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would reseat the memory - check it all out - and that no paper or anything has fallen off the boards and got in the way etc

5. Lina

Lina Thread Starter

Well, tried reseating it, tried turning it around, everything. Nothing. I think something is fried. The thing is, when the power button lights up, it starts heating up in the back, but nothing is happening. So I'm thinking something with the fan...?! I'm gonna take it into the Toshiba repair center, hopefully they can figure it out. If anyone has any ideas to what this might be, please let me know! I appreciate all help!

Lina

6. blloyd@berry

[email protected]

Hi, Lina. Did you get this resolved? I'm seeing identical symptoms on a Toshiba Satellite A135. I unseated and reseated the original memory card. Black screen, lights exactly as you described, little or no internal activity (HD, PS, fans).

7. Lina

Lina Thread Starter

Well, I had to take it into the Toshibe repair center and hand over $75 to get this fixed. Turns out one of my memory slots wasn't working. It was broken or something like that. So they had to just use the one that was working and put in my new memory card into that one. I obviously don't know if this is the same problem is yours...but I'm slowly giving up on my old laptop (this thing is getting close to being 4 years old) and getting myself a Mac. I just can't stand how slow it is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice