1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba notebook and OrangeLink

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by creativeno, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creativeno

creativeno Thread Starter

Hello someone, help!
    I received an Ipod 20MG and we are trying to install on hubbies notebook. The notebook keeps shutting off in the middle of an operation, sometimes right at boot up. I thought that I had installed the orangelink product fine, apparently not! In the start up instructions for the orangelink, it mentions to confirm that the PC Card slot is 32 bit CardBus compliant. (He had a 16 bit card in the PC card slot so that his INTERNET connection worked in the field.) In the Toshiba manual it talks about removing the PC card and directs us to go to Control Panel and dble click the PC Card Properties... there isn't one on his notebook. So we just took it out, unfortunately we read that after it said not to do that! So up until that we thought we knew what we were doing (before it started to shut down by itself), we got as far as importing a track from a CD till it was almost at 3 seconds left to go then it would just shut down! Could someone please help me, this is my husbands computer (mine isn't powerful enough) and it is needed for work, I would hate to see it crash on him in the middle of a sentence! :eek: thanks in advance for any help

2. blackecho

blackecho

i'm sure you've already probably though about this, but does the battery have plenty of life? and what are the stats on your hubbies laptop? cpu, ram, os, etc...

3. creativeno

creativeno Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

The problem I am having is trying to get the PCMCIA slot to work with this
    new hardware "Orangelink" which is a "Firewire for Notebooks card that
    connects through the PCMCIA slot. It requires a 32-bit connection and as far
    as I can tell from the user Manuel this should work. I have been using a old
    Megahertz XJACK 28.8/14.4kbps data/fax through this slot previously. does
    this slot need to be reconfigured to handle a 32-bit card? I can not find
    how to check this on the computer. The problem occurs whenever the card is
    inserted, the computer repeatedly powers down. There was a reference to this
    in the Orange link website that this may be due to the PCMCIA slot being set
    at a 16 bit rate. Can i change this to 32-bit? how do you do this or check
    it?
    The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Pentium III processor
    1.10 GHz with 240MB of Ram. it was bought 2-3 years ago. the Users manual is
    for a 1800 series. I it has two PCMCIA slots on the right side of the
    computer and the manual says it supports cardbus new standard 32-bit PC
    cards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice