1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

toshiba odd-dvd sd-r6252 speed???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babymeena, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, guys. I have the above DVD+R/RW & CD-RW combo drive on my laptop. Now I want to buy some blank disks for it but want to find out what the writing speeds are for DVD & CD writing. I can't figure out how to access that.
    Also if my DVD+R writing speed is only 2.4, does it help to buy X8 disks or should I stick with cheaper X2.4 disks. Same question goes for blank CDs.
    I've encountered comments about this drive not recognizing certain brands of disks. I've yet to try burning so I don't know for myself. However I already bought Phillips X2.4 disks. I wonder if I should exchange that for Ridata DVD+R 4x because I found it on sale today. Does brand really matter???
    Any help would be real nice~~~!
    Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not a true Toshiba drive, its used by OEM manufacturers(most HP/Compaq) for their laptops. I also know many people have trouble with this drive - as in its pretty much crap. If you actually get it burn and read DVD's succesfully it will be rare from what I have heard.

If you look up the laptop model on the manufacturer's website it should tell you the speeds - probably 2.4X but maybe 4X if it works at all. It will also tell you wether it uses DVD-R and DVD+R, I know it does + but not sure if it does - media as well.

And brand /speed can matter - some drives are picky on the media used - trial and error might be the only way to find out.

3. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, Triple6. Thanks for the reply. I looked up all kinds of specs, it doesn't specify the speed. Probably really low since they're not bragging about it. I'm sad to hear that I have a crappy burner because one of the biggest reason why I picked this laptop is because of the dvd burner... =( I wonder if Best Buy will replace it with another dvd burner since I bought their three year service plan. What do you think?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I know HP replaced a lot of those burners with different models. I don't its up to Best Buy but the manufacturer of the laptop to replace any parts.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice