1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba P205-s6257 wont boot with Vista recovery disks after formatting drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by alffy, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alffy

alffy Thread Starter

I have a P205-s6257 toshiba laptop that Im trying to load window 7 on with NO luck after I formated the hard drive. It actually gets worse, what happen to the good old days of formatting the drive then adding in the new OS, creating a partition and away you go :(

Anyway, this Toshiba laptop had Vista on it originally and I do have the recovery disks that came with the laptop but I cant seem to get the formatted hard drive to boot up either with the new windows 7 dvd nor the original vista recovery disks. ugh.

The error message im getting now is missing operating system. I tried click "F8" and "0" but it still say "missing operating ".

I have another laptop and a sata usb enclosure. is there anyway to format the drive via usb and add the toshiba recovery files needed to get my laptop to boot up again?

Any help would be approciated:)

Alffy
    [email protected]

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at the boot order in the bios/setup
    make sure the DVD is 1st in boot order

you should see how to get into bios/setup as the pc starts - F2 , F10 , Del Key

3. alffy

alffy Thread Starter

Hi etaf,

thanks for the reply, thats about the 1st thing i tried was f2 to get into bios and select the boot order. Basically from what i can tell it looks like my format drive software wiped out the extra partition toshiba uses for recovery of OS systems. I basically have a 150gig C partition at the moment with no other partitions.

The hard drive is good and the cd/dvd is good as well because i did a test last night by trying to see if any other boot dvd would work and i was able to at least get the windows xp sp3 dvd to boot and add this OS on this drive. That being said toshiba has NO drivers for me.

I am so disappointed with Toshiba at this point. I specifically purchased windows 7 to replace (the crappy Vista home premium I had on the laptop) and still want to do a "clean install" but i guess this quote secret partition that toshiba wants to see doesnt exist on my drive anymore.

Is there anyway to add the recovery data that toshiba provided me on the recovery dvds to the toshiba drive if i pull it out of the unit then use a USB enclosure and add those files to the drive somehow?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

alffy

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have the original recovery DVDs - or did you create them when first installed the vista on the PC often at new they ask you to create the recovery dvds

do you know if the windows 7 are upgrade or full versions at all

5. alffy

alffy Thread Starter

Hi etaf,

yes, the recovery dvd's are the originals. and the windows 7 is an oem version 64 bit.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could try putting the originals back on the PC - that will resinstall the hidden partition

7. alffy

alffy Thread Starter

hey etaf,

thanks for the input. should i just dump these files on to the drive and then execute the install.exe? just curious. see screen shot below.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no screen shot - not sure what you mean

9. alffy

alffy Thread Starter

hi etaf

sorry about the screen shot not showing up. well i tried what u said by adding the files to an external drive and try to boot off of that but i couldn't get it to work. i have the files loaded on the hard drive now to and asked toshiba as well for a bootless procedure and they said they know its possible to do this but would not offer advice. :(

Any other ideas?

thanks.

alffy

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how to load a screen shot - see below

can you be more specific about "the files"

the vista CD should boot up - not sure what you mean by copied and files - can you explain further

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice