1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Portege 4010 Startup then shut down.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JFitz2010, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFitz2010

JFitz2010 Thread Starter

Hello, I am having an issue with an older Toshiba. It hasn't been used in a while, but when I went to use it for the first time in about 2 years, it is giving me an error message saying, "**** Bad check sum (CMOS) **** Check system. Then press F1 key." I can press the key and go into a BIOS setup screen, but after about 1 minute it just shuts off. I know that I may need to change the BIOS battery, but would that be what's causing the sudden shut off? If it helps, it also makes a single clicking sound when it shuts off, but I assume that it's just because of the screen turning off. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but if it can't be fixed it might just be time for a new laptop... Would love to salvage this one though =(

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

I would replace the CMOS battery first........and see if that solves the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice