1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Portege R705-P35 Notebook Headphone Jack Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMTK62, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMTK62

AMTK62 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Toshiba Portege R705-P35 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; I got it just over a week ago. The last couple days, I have been noticing that my headphones are getting intermittant connections. I have a pair of Grado SR80I's as well as a set of SR225I's. I plugged the SR225I's into the Portege with a 1/4" to 1/8" takedown adapter and I think that is what caused the problem.
    My concern is: if a couple of hours of having those cans connected to my computer is enough to pull on the circuit board (?) enough to cause a problem, how strong is the headphone jack built overall? I am blind, and I use my computer (with screen-reading software) with headphones almost exclusively. I plug and unplug my headphones several times a day, and I take care not to pull on the headphone chord whenever possible. If I am already having problems, I am concerned about the durability of the jack over a long period of time.
    I have thought about doing one of three things, all of which include never plugging a straight 1/4" to 1/8" takedown adapter in:
    1. Exchange the laptop at BestBuy, explain the situation, and hoping for the best.
    2. Exchanging the laptop, then paying to have a stronger headphone jack installed --probably by a third party--if one is made. (I noticed the AC power jack is metal but the headphone/microphone jacks are plastic.)
    3. Returning the laptop and buying a Dell XPS 14, which is the other laptop I was considering because of the MaxxAudio technology.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

You might not be able to have a better jack installed onto the motherboard, because they are engineered to such tight tolerances, and the existing jack is usually a fairly thin part made of plastic.

One option would be to have a shop solder jumpers to the board, and bring a better jack to the outside of the laptop. The jumpers would have to be secured to the shell in such a way as to prevent pulling on the mainboard.

There is another option. You could purchase a set of speakers which have a headset convenience jack, leave those speakers plugged in to the laptop, and plug the headphones into the speaker.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice