1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Pro 4300 & PS2 devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davidn, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

All - pointers in the right direction please...fresh install of XP but PS2 devices do not work...XP says PS2 devices are working properly but they are not (USB devices are fine). Have downloaded all the relevant drivers but to no avail...have seen this issue before but for the life of me I cannot remember - tia - davidn :confused:

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Are they enabled in the BIOS?

3. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

Hi Dave - yep pointing devices are set to enabled...there are 2 options in the bios for pointing devices - Auto-Selected and simultaneous but neither makes any difference when set - davidn

4. DaveBurnett

How many PS2 ports do you have? And PLEASE tell me you haven't plugged the mouse into the keyboard and vice versa.

5. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

ok - have only 1 x PS2 port which should except mouse OR keyboard but neither of them work. If I uplug/plug in the keyboard the lights on the keyboard light up momentarilly but thats about it :confused:

6. DaveBurnett

What does the device manager have to say about PS/2 devices when one id plugged in. Is it possible that they have been de-activated in the current hardware profile.

Also were you aware that you can use a splitter cable and plug both mouse AND keyboard into the same PS/2 slot when it supports either.

7. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

Am only running 1 x hardware profile and is enabled. In device manager it states:

PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Device type: Mice and other poinintg devices
    Manufacturer:MS

device status: The device is working properly

:confused:

8. DaveBurnett

How about the mouse controls in control panel? (I presume it is a mouse, what type? )

9. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

PS2 Compatible mouse is listed under hardware...the mouse I am using is a standard intellimouse (PS2 compatible) but have tried another mice just to be sure but still the same prob :confused:

10. DaveBurnett

Try an external keyboard and see if it is detected. Turn off first though.

11. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

yep - tried that and still no go

12. DaveBurnett

Ok. I'll try my laptop XP SP2 with PS2 and Usb mice attached and see what happens.

13. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

interestingly I can get the usb mouse to work ok (has only 1 x usb port) but no ps2 devices - davidn

14. DaveBurnett

Strange!. I tried mine and I get both mice at the same time. Try deleting the PS/2 ports in device manager (make sure you show hidden devices as well) and let them be re-installed.

15. davidn

davidn Thread Starter

Thanks for all of this Dave but very silly question but there are no PS/2 ports to delete only PS/2 compatatible mouse under Mice and other pointing devices which when I remove and reboots it finds a new device but still no PS/2 mouse?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice