1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Qosmio Recovery Without Optical Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by scoutnj19, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scoutnj19

scoutnj19 Thread Starter

Hey!

My wife and I own a Qosmio F45-AV11. It is in dire need of a complete recovery to fix some odd issues that have stumped me for some time.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that we have the restore disks, the optical drive is defunct. It can take and eject media, but it cannot read anything. Blank CDs and DVDs... Burned CDs and DVDs... Store bought CDs and DVDs... Regardless of what is put in, Explorer does not say that the drive has anything in it.

How can I restore our Qosmio without having to utilize the optical drive? Can I image the recovery disks to an .iso and load it with autorun to a USB? I'm not entirely sure if you're allowed to boot a recovery from a flash drive, but that's the only solution I can imagine at this point (and I can't even figure out how to execute it).

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

An iso is a CD image file. It won't boot at all and a USB drive also needs to be made bootable with an MBR and PBR, as well as any needed boot files.

Have you tried booting the recovery disks? The drive may still be good and just not work in Windows.

Do you have a recovery partition on the hard drive with Windows included? Have you changed any partitions on the drive or formatted any of them?

3. scoutnj19

scoutnj19 Thread Starter

I appreciate the help.

I understand about an ISO not booting. I think I just described what I would do poorly.

Anyway, I have not tried booting the recovery disks. That's my next thing to do. I'll report back with results.

I have looked for a recovery partition. I have not found one. When booting, I entered the recovery menu and looked around at the options. Toshiba has a recovery wizard, but it does not allow for a recovery from the HDD and asks explicitly for the disks. That leads me to assume that there is not a recovery partition on the drive.

I'll see if I can boot from the disks. Otherwise, we'll get creative.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds good.

5. scoutnj19

scoutnj19 Thread Starter

Well, you were correct. For whatever reason, the optical drive read the recovery disks at bootup and we're back in action.

Thanks for the help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice