1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba S4547 Notebook Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdonovan1, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I am just wondering if anyone might happen to have any ideas as to why a Toshiba S4547 Notebook computer would have problems booting up with two 2 GB memory sticks. I bought both of them directly from Toshiba in 2008 and up until recently I have not had any problems with the memory at all. Now I am having a problem where it will only boot with one stick in, but not with both.

I thought that something was funny when my computer started locking up on me and my first thought was that it was something in Windows vista. I'm testing the memory sticks right now to see if I can find a problem with either of the sticks, but as of yet I don't have the results back as of yet.

I did have the motherboard replaced by Toshiba in 2008 and since then have not had any problems. I'm not really sure at the moment as to what could be causing this issue because when I take either chip and insert it into Dimm 0 it seems to work without a problem, but when I put the second one in on Dimm 1 it then doesn't seem to want to boot up to the screen showing the bios information at all and that is really making me wonder if there might be a problem with the motherboard.

I bought the computer brand new in May of 2007 and until I made a mistake with a memory card and screwed upt the motherboard that I had to pay for out of my own pocket I wasn't having any problems except for not having enough physical memory or hard drive space. Since the motherboard was replaced by Toshiba in 2008 things have been running good with the computer except of course for the usual hard drive and memory limitations. I upgraded the memory to help solve that by putting in two 2 GB memory sticks that I bought directly through Toshiba and that I know are compatible with my computer and that solved the memory problem for a while. That also maxed out the memory as the motherboard will not go above 4 GB total.

I thought that was the end of my memory problems after I did that and for a while I was right at least until now and at the moment I am completely stumped as to what possibly could be causing the problem.

I even went out and upgraded the hard drive last year to help solve the hard drive space limitation problem. Until tonight hard drive space and battery life have been my only problems with the machine. Now I just have no idea as to what could be causing the problem.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it to act the way that it is, then I would appreciate it if you could let me know. I hope that it's not the motherboard and that it's something simple like an operating system bug, but at this point I can't count on that.

2. maceman

maceman

Hi!
    If your OS is Home Basic or Home Premium, Vista can recognize only one of your sticks. All Vistas support dual core, but not if there are more than one physical chips installed.

3. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

It's Home Premium. It was running two chips before without a problem. This problem seems to be more hardware related from what I can tell than OS. It could be OS and I'm not rulling that out at the moment. I've tested one of the memory chips so far using Mestest which is on the disks that Toshiba included with the computer when I bought it and that chip according to that program passed with flying colors. I'm testing the second chip at the moment and am currently waiting for the results to come back.

The reason that I say that this is probably more hardware related is because my motherboard has two slots for memory chips on it and I've used them both in the correct order before. Normally the computer should start and go right to the Toshiba screen when you first start it whether you have one or two chips installed, but for some reason it only does that now with one chip installed and not both. If you put both chips in it just sits there with a black screen and acts like it is doing nothing. When you take the second chip out and just use one chip it seems to work fine.

I'm not really sure at the moment, but I'm inclined to think that there could be a problem with the motherboard because for the life of me I can't think of anything else that would cause that to happen.

This all occurs before the screen that says Microsoft at the begining. You would think that with both chips it should start up without a problem like that and then go to the Microsoft screen. If it were the OS then you would think that with both chips you would be able to get that far and you would be able to see bios before it crashed. I can handle an OS problem as that's usually pretty easy to fix. If it's a hardware problem that is causing it then that could be more tricky and costly to find and fix the problem, especially if it's the motherboard itself.

I also have no problem accepting it if it's a bad memory chip as that could explain it as well, but I'm not really sure that is the case because I have tried both chips in Dimm slot 1 and Dimm Slot 0. Both seem to work in Dimm slot 0 without a problem, but not in Dimm slot 1 or at least that is how it appears at the moment. I'm still trying to isolate the problem at the moment and trying to figure out as to what could really be causing the problem so that I know what I'm going to have to do to fix the problem and so that I can try to determine as what if anything it is going to cost to fix it.

This has got to be one of the strangest computer problems that I have ever come accross before because it just doesn't make any kind of sense to me at all. Maybe it will to someone else, but not to me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice