1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite A Series Doesn't Turn On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Underspore, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Underspore

Underspore Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

My little more than one year old Satellite notebook won't turn on when I press the power button. The lights next to the button work, but the computer itself doesn't turn on (no HDD, no CPU).

I took it to a service, and today I called them - they're telling me that the video card overheated (and I didn't really understand, what I got out of it was that the soldered pins got detached) and that's what's causing the problem. They said they can solder it back for $250...

I'm a little skeptical, because I know that I can boot a [desktop] computer without a video card, at least to hear the HDD and the CPU.

Can it be possible that my computer doesn't boot because my video card is detached from the motherboard?

I'm also a little skeptical because I think what they're trying to do is rip me off, that's why I'm asking if this is reasonable. They charge me $30 bucks either way now that they opened my computer and "checked" what was wrong, and they walk away with even more money if they get me to agree to repair it...

My fear is that possibly they even fiddled with my video card now (let's say that the problem was a simple wire and they ruin the soldering on my video card...) just to get me to pay $250 bucks for the computer back.
    If I choose to not repair this computer, they'll probably offer to buy it off of me for about the same price if not lower, and it's still a very good laptop.

Thank you for any help in advance.

2. Megabite

Megabite

When you turn it on does anything come up on the screen???

What happens if you immediately start tapping F8 on startup

Do you hear the fan running

3. Underspore

Underspore Thread Starter

Doesn't turn on at all. No HDD, no CPU, no fans.
    Power button just doesn't do anything.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Can you have your powersupply tested or try another one...

5. Megabite

Megabite

If they knew it was the video card solder then they would have to have opened the PC up and could have down it then........see if you can borrow another power supply with the same output......

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice