Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 Overheat

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mangatrekkie 
#1 ·
So I recently was given a Toshiba Satellite A75-S211 and it would shut off after enough time running, and eventually I discovered it was because of overheating. I even propped it up so the fans were not blocked, but to no avail. The guy that gave it to me said that even a cooling pad didn't work for him. The fans are not blocked, I can see both running on the bottom. Any ideas as to why this is overheating?

#3 ·
Just because the fans are spinning doesn't mean they are doing a good job, the heatsinks can get clogged with dust and fluff reducing the air flow.

You can try to blow the dust out or better still take it apart and clean it up by hand.

See here for a dismantling guide for your laptop :- http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA75/satA75_1.htm

It mentions overheating caused by clogged up heatsinks at the start and note the link to 'Toshiba laptop overheating problem.'

#4 ·
Aside from making sure the heatsinks are free of dust build up you will probably need to change the thermal paste. Over time it dries out and fails to transfer the heat well. Artic silver 5 or tuniq tx-2 are good choices. If the fans are running, heatsinks are seated right and dust free then change the paste, that should solve your problem.

#5 ·
You can try blowing any dust or fluff out with a can of compressed air or even blowing into a straw or similar. I prefer to look inside but that's not essential if the blowing does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.