1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coover, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coover

coover Thread Starter

A friends Toshiba Satellite P25-S5092 is failing to boot, Blue Screening with a "c0000218 Registry File Failure" error message. It is pretty clear his registry is messed up. I tried to boot it going to a previously good configuration, but that didn't work. Safe mode, of course, doesn't work either.

I wanted to back up the hard drive before going any further, and loaded an Acronis True Image Boot Disk into the CD/DVD drive. The boot bypassed the CD and attempted to load Windows. I opened Setup and made sure that the CD/DVD drive was the first boot option and tried again. Windows attempted to open. An internet search suggested that perhaps I should hold down the "c" key until the word "Toshiba" appeared on the screen. I did that, and again it was back to Windows.

I have also attempted to boot with a Windows XP Pro disk, Windows XP Pro SP2 Slipstream disk, and a Linux Boot Disk. These all fail and the computer attempts to boot to Windows.

Any suggestions? Thanks .

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Do you know if the drive works? Or did work? Does the laptop have a floppy drive? Try removing/disabling every boot item except for the CD drive.

3. coover

coover Thread Starter

Thanks, Triple6. The machine does not have a floppy drive, and I am not sure if the CD drive works. It does, however, spin the CD, and the owner of the machine says that the CD worked prior to the "crash" that caused him to bring the machine to me.

The BIOS will not allow me to remove any of the boot items, but disabling is possible. I'll try that and see what happens. I'll report back later.

4. coover

coover Thread Starter

I have now disabled all boot options except the CD Rom. Attempting to boot to a boot CD, I get the following error message ...

Media test failure, check cable
    Exiting PXEROM

I do not have access to an external CD ROM or I would try that.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Does the BIOS show the CD-ROM as being detected? Or does it show at post?

6. coover

coover Thread Starter

The Toshiba Splash Screen evidently covers up the screen showing detected drives. Is there a way to disable the Splash?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

ECS or TAB clears most of those screens. There may also be an option in the BIOS to disable it or disabled quiet boot.

8. coover

coover Thread Starter

I was able to disable "Quiet Boot" in the BIOS. The CD ROM was recognized and yet the computer will not boot from any boot cd.

9. coover

coover Thread Starter

I have been able to borrow a USB Floppy Drive and inserted a Win ME boot disk. It booted to the disk and I instructed it to load the CD ROM drivers. It loaded the drivers and told me the CD drive was "D". I changed the directory to D and then instructed it to "run". Error message "Not ready reading drive D" and giving me a choice to Abort, Retry, or Fail.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Sounds like the drive is faulty.

11. coover

coover Thread Starter

Thanks again, Triple6.

That evidently is (one of) the problem(s). Perhaps whatever messed up the registry also messed up the CD Drive - a power surge, possibly?. It's a shame because I have no way to troubleshoot what could be a fairly simple problem.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

If you had another laptop you could swap drives, the fronts may be different by the drive may be a regular slim type drive.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541340