1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite L650-1NU - turns off after 4-6 minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikepl7, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepl7

mikepl7 Thread Starter

Hello, I have problem with turning off Toshiba Satellite L650-1NU, it has processor - Intel I5-480m. Part NO: PSK1JE-0GD00KPL

What I did so far:

1. Disassembled all parts and clean dust from - motherboard, cooler and heat sink.
    2. Cleaned CPU and GPU from old thermal paste, I also put new one.
    3. Removed battery and plenty of times pressed power button, all further tests were done with only power supply plugged on - no battery.
    4. Reset BIOS settings to default.
    5. Attached other power supply from different working laptop.
    6. Removed and changed combinations of RAM memory.
    7. Removed hard drive and CD-ROM.
    8. Run laptop and detached cable from power button - read some forums with such solution for higher Toshiba model 7xx - people run laptop with multimedia bar.
    9. Measured CPU temperature under Linux and memtest86 - in both cases temperature was around 65-70C where I read for this model is stable even with 90C+ temperatures - max temperature on Intel website is 105C.
    10. Checked capacitors and they looked fine - no bulge.

It shutdowns no matter if running in BIOS, Windows, Linux or memtest.

Please help me, I lost ideas what it could be. I didn't update BIOS because it is risky to start procedure if it shuts down in 4-6 minutes.

Greetings and thanks for help [​IMG]

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a hardware fault. Could be a loose solder joint or just a faulty component. It runs long enough to get warm/hot and the joint disconnects or the component fails and the PC shuts down. The system cools and it works again to until it warms back up.

The fact that it occurs in the BIOS, pretty much ensures it's a hardware issue. And you've already touched all of the common parts (and some that didn't need to be touched based on your troubleshooting).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice