1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba satellite Laptop not starting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amidev, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidev

amidev Thread Starter

hi there. I am having some problems with my Toshiba laptop. I was wondering if somebody here could help me.
    This has a windows xp and was bought in 2004. The problem started in the morning when I left the computer on for Norton scan overnight. In the morning I noted that it was switched off. when I wanted to start it goes on to a screen which says ' we apologise for inconvenience ,but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.' After 30 seconds wait it would go to windows xp screen, try start and would get switched off and would try to get restart again to do the same thing. I tried safe mode, pressing F8 ,taking off the battery and letting it to run on AC mode. Nothing worked!
    iI would be grateful if someone could help me out.
    Thanks.

2. JFresh

JFresh

A computer that automatically shuts down with no warning suggests a problem with overheating. I would double check to make sure that all the connections to any fans in your laptop are properly connected. If the laptop still shuts down as it has been I would take it in to your local PC repair shop and tell them what's going on as they may have the tools and access to parts to fix your problem. Hope that helps!

Thanks,

JFresh

3. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Do you have your windows CD or manufacturers restore CD?

If so good as your going to need to do a reinstall/repair install of windows as the message you are seeing is Windows way of saying "Something has gone very wrong indeed and we dont know what it is".

If you cant get in Safe Mode either then I am afraid you have no choice but to try a re-install.

There is a chance it could be a hardward fault such as a Hard Drive failing, but trying the re-install will confirm that.

Best case scenario you have a bad windows install and a re-install solves it, worst case you need a new hard disk.

You could really do with backing up the files on there, which if you dont have access to another computer (so you can put the hard drive in the second one as a slave) then you can use something like the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows to copy the files to a USB drive.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/765582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice