1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite Laptop SM Bus...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glutonforpunishm, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glutonforpunishm

glutonforpunishm Thread Starter

Hi,

Just installed XP Pro on a friends Toshiba Satellite L30D PSLC0E and managed to find 'almost' all the drivers on the 'net.

However I still have a yellow question mark opposite SM Bus Controller in Device Manager. The owner has misplaced the original discs but I presume that as this machine previously had Vista that the discs probably wouldn't have had XP drivers anyway.

Wonder if anyone on here could point me in the right direction. I have spent ages on the Toshiba site but no luck.

Thank you.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If there is no xp drivers listed for that model of computer on the toshiba site in drivers and downloads its going to be quite a chore finding them.maybe he can get the correct recovery cds from toshiba and use vista again.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. glutonforpunishm

Thanks everyone for the input.

Triple6 - I followed that link and 'bingo' no more yellow exclamation marks !!!

I had a good few of these when I initially installed XP but managed to sort most of them - apart from the SM Bus Controller.

Thanks again for your help and for taking time to post - really appreciate it.

John

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem (y)

6. glutonforpunishm

Ooops - I may have spoken too soon...

It 'appears' some of the keyboard functions on this Toshiba L300D laptop don't work... namely the function key. I cannot adjust the screen brilliance etc...

When I look in the Device Manager I see that what appears to be a generic Windows keyboard driver is installed which maybe is the problem.

Now I presume this laptop requires a different keyboard driver ? I've tried to locate one but no luck. Anyone here point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

John

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. glutonforpunishm

Triple6 - thanks for that - I followed the link but no luck.

Toshiba appear to have virtually no support for the Satellite L300D/XP combination. I did download and install a couple that sounded promising. They appeared to install ok but did nothing...

One of the ones I tried was from here:-

http://spynet-tricks.blogspot.com/2010/10/toshiba-satellite-l300d-driver-download.html

Incidentally the small green light appears when I hold down the Function key - but nothing else.

Thanks

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to upgrade the laptop back to Windows Vista or 7, Windows XP is simply not supported on many new laptops due to being outdated.

10. glutonforpunishm

Thanks for that.

Initially this laptop had overheating problems and an intermittent DC jack and my colleague eventually went and purchased a replacement so I have inherited the Toshiba.... :rolleyes:

Vista is not an alternative I would consider and I never really got to grips with Windows 7, so it might be a case of keep looking for a suitable driver and stay with XP - even if I have to live without the hot keys.

Thanks again for your input, appreciate it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice