1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite Laptop won't boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djf200, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djf200

djf200 Thread Starter

I gave my daughter a Toshiba Satellite M35-S359 laptop for Christmas two years ago.

About 4 months ago the DVD/CD-RW developed a problem with the lens servo and stopped working. I advised her to get another at that time, but she didn't.

Last month, something happened to the hard drive (possibly simply corruption of the OS files, not sure) and the system would no longer boot. Since there is no way to boot a system without a workign hard drive or CD/DVD I purchased a new DVD/CD-RW and installed it in hopes of booting the recovery CD and reloading the Operating System. The new CD however did not work. (not sure why) I have also purchased a new hard drive and installed it in the laptop, but without a way to load the OS on it, it's useless. (the laptop has no floppy)

i'm looking for sugegstions on how I can troubleshoot the CD/DVD. It spins, and you can hear the read head seeking (moving) but won't boot the recovery CD. Is there a way to tell if this problem is power-related or possibly a bad interface/cable/what-have-you?

Possibly someone knows a different way to boot this puppy?

Thanks much for your indulgence,

djf200

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Go into set-up (the bios) and set it to boot from dvd as the first boot option.

3. djf200

djf200 Thread Starter

Did that already. Appears to read form the DVD/CD (lite flashes, hread head seeks, etc.) but no boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice