1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite M35 - No picture

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shajanmt, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

Hi

I am having a Toshiba Satellite M35 laptop with no picture on the lcd screen. The display shows to an externally connected CRT monitor but no picture in lcd screen. Currently display is set to CRT + LCD screen using Fn keys. The lcd display went of all of a sudden. The brightness control on lcd works . I can increase or decrease the brightness (back light) using the function keys. I checked the continuity of the display cable and looks good. After browsing i came to know , either the inverter card or lcd screen has the problem. Will some body able to give me a hint what can be the problem.

Any reply / hint will be a great help

thanks

shajan

2. norton850

norton850

If you can see something on the screen even if very faint then the problem is with the backlight or inverter. It doesn't sound like that is what you are telling us, however.

3. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

There is no (or even very faint )image in the lcd screen. Will it can be lcd problem ? Or what can be the problem .

Thanks a lot

shajan

4. norton850

norton850

Does it do anything if you cycle through the Fn keys for the different display settings. Meaning just the laptop screen and not CRT and laptop.

5. jgjg

jgjg

Same thing happened to my M35. I ordered an inverter from a computer part store on line. This was about 2 years ago and it cost around $75.00. It was a fairly easy installation. The panel behind the key board pops off and exposes the plug to the inverter but you must take the screen off to install the whole part. Not to hard of a job if your handy.

6. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

norton850,
    After disconnecting crt from the laptop , when i cycle through the Fn keys I can see the lcd screen's back light comes and goes .

jgjg,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think still it is an inverter problem .

Thanks a lot for the replies

shajan

7. jgjg

jgjg

I think it is, only because it's so common for Toshiba laptops. There are numerous recalls of different models for premature failure of the inverter-as I recall. If you goggle this failure, you'll find alot. There is a sight on the web with great photos and step by step instructions about how to take apart this laptop. If you search, you'll find. I''m sorry, I don't have time right now to find it.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But if it was the inverter or backlight, there would be no output at all that could be seen or adjusted by the brightness.

It sounds to me like the backlight is working but the video is not?

9. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

jgjg,

thanks for the reply. In fact i deassembled my laptop many times , bought a repir manual . If i didn't find any other clue i will try to replace the inverter. thanks for your time

kiwiguy,
    <<<It sounds to me like the backlight is working but the video is not? >>> I also feel the same

I am able to get picture in extended monitor. Is the vedio o/p different for lcd and extended connection ?

What can be other problem if it is vedio. Cable is good.

I just want to minimize the cost before i try anything

thanks for the replies

shajan

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The video hardware for LCD and external have slightly separate portions of the video adapter so a chip failure is not impossible. The LCD uses digital video data, the external uses analog video data.

If the backlight works now, a new inverter will do nothing to help.

11. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

Is the chip you mentioned will be in mother board ?. If that the case that will be too costly for me to get it repaired

Any way thanks for the ideas and helpful tips.

shajan

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Repair of laptop motherboards is usually by replacement.
    It is almost impossible to replace a surface mounted large scale integrated chip manually, due to the miniaturisation.

13. shajanmt

shajanmt Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will put in the forum when any updates comes regarding this . Future some one will be helpul

thanks

shajan

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice