1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite, no sound.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegtguy, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

well i have this satellite A30, with ac97 audio... and recently i was listening to some tunes, when all of a sudden the sound cut out. i tried everything played with drivers and whatnot. finaly i gave up and did a format and reinstall of windows xp. now everything SEEMS to be working, devmanager and speaker icon on windows task bar.... but absolutly NO sound. either from the speakers, OR when i plug in head phones... please, i need help in a big way. Thanks in advance... The GT Guy.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This may be a stupid suggestion, but it happened to me when I first got my Toshiba...the sound control off to the side?

3. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

oh . not stupid. ya that has had me a couple times lol. not now. maybe the slider switch is worn out??

4. ~Candy~

Could be. It definitely sounds like something is amiss. Do you think there is anyway you could have blown the speakers? I don't think that the volume on the laptops usually go too high, but....under the circumstances, something is strange.

I would imagine you checked the bios setup just to be sure that there is no onboard sound disabled entry there?

5. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

oh, that was a good idea. k, now ive checked the bios.... no options for onboard sound there. no i don't really think the speakers are shot, (but ur right, i think they set them too high as well.) but even if the speakers were shot, head phones should still work.....

6. ~Candy~

With the speaker icon on the task bar, can you open it and see what the default playback device is set to?

Also, open up the properties, and be sure there is a check mark in every item, and nothing is muted.

7. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

rats. the playback is set to "ac97" just like it should be .

8. ~Candy~

And you have all of the boxes checked in properties? And nothing muted?

9. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

got em all checked sir. and nothing muted lol.

ps, the sureall silence is driving me Bonkers!!

10. ~Candy~

Well, I'm sorry to say that I have no other conclusion besides the onboard sound being broken somehow :(

11. thegtguy

thegtguy Thread Starter

well thanks for going throught the whole bit with me!! if anybody else out there has ever heard of a toshiba with the same problem... drop in a line.
    Thanks, The GT Guy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/424562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice