1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite notebook won't turn off

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Starday, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Starday

Starday Thread Starter

I have Toshiba Satellite A210-16F notebook and it doesn't want to turn off sometimes.
    It gets to the "Shutting down" window, but it wont shut down and stays like that until I shut it down manually by holding the POWER button.
    What could be a reason of this problem?

2. good grief

good grief

How long has this been happening? Have you recently installed any new programmes that you can link this to?

Have a look in problem reports under system and maintenance in the control panel, and see if anything is mentioned as causing shutdown to hang like that. There may be a minidump file you can upload so someone here can run a debugging on it.

If you haven't already done so, maybe generating a system health report would give some indication as well.

Also, I presume you have run virus checks just to rule that out?

3. Starday

Starday Thread Starter

I have this notebook for 6 months. This happened before, but very rarely, but it is often in past month . Notebook is virus free, and I doubt that some program installation is causing this...but everything is possible, Im not an expert.
    Can you explain these "problem reports", "minidump file" and "health report"? What should I do?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Which version of Norton Antivirus or Kaspersky Antivirus are you running?

5. good grief

good grief

Problem reports are available in Start>Control Panel>System and Maintenance, and under Problem Reports and Solutions, click on View Problem History. Once in there, you right click on any relevant problem and choose View Problem Details. Sometimes there is info and error codes and you can do a search for these on the net which can help track down the problem and sometimes even a solution.

Re minidump, type that into Windows help and Support, and follow the directions. Make sure you left click on the drive you're going to check before you right click and go into properties or you won't end up in the right place. You probably don't need to do this at the moment, but for future reference...

To generate a health report, Start>Control Panel>Performance Information and Tools, and on the left hand panel, click on Advanced Tools. Once in there, there may be a message at the top under Performance Issues, along the lines of 'Programmes are causing windows to shut down slowly' and you can view details by clicking on that.

At the bottom of the list in Advanced Tools, click on Generate a system health report. Your computer will gather information for around 60seconds, and then give you a report indicating any problem areas e.g. devices not working properly, paging problems etc.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice