1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 Major Network Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by busby1308, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busby1308

busby1308 Thread Starter

Hi first post be gentle I've faith someone on here can help me.

Got a laptop off a friend basically having a play for a day or two to see if I want to buy it. Quite an ancient thing but I only want it for Internet poker and maybe browsing but probably not even that.

It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 running XP and it does have a wireless card in it but that's the problem.

Under the device manager all the networking stuff shows as working fine but if I go into network connections three icons show.

Wireless Network Connection - Network Bridge - Local Area Connection

All of these have a red cross through them (fair enough for the local area connection there's no network cable plugged in) and on the left hand side when I select the wireless it says wireless connection unavailable.

Now there is a wireless switch on the side of the laptop I have this flicked on and it shows an orange light which doesn't show when it's off. I have tried turning this off and on a few times but only attempt a connection when it is on.

Now when I try to create a new connection is shows the three pieces of network hardware and says that they are all disconnected and that I must plug in or connect the hardware before proceeding.

I've gone to the Toshiba website and downloaded the latest network drivers for this model only one driver available but it was for the wireless card. This has made no difference. If I connect a network cable then that will work but obviously defeats the purpose.

Now previously the laptop was working fine using wireless but has been unused at all for between six and twelve months.

Now for me this is where things start to get a little strange, I decided to try using a usb dongle to check if that works assuming if it did that it would point to a fault with the wireless card. Inserted the dongle got the usual screen to add the driver which I did from the dongle's cd.

Under network connections everything but the wireless card lost it's red cross through it and the dongle showed. Picked up my router automatically with no prompting or notification to me. The router at this point was unsecured, ran IE quick check browsed fine even downloaded firefox at a reasonable speed.

Then happy with this solution as I'm paying a realatively small amount for it and only using it for poker decided to reenable WEP on the router. Obviously attempted to reconnect to wireless network but could find no available option to do so and at this stage I couldn't highlight the dongle in Network Connections as it showed showed disconnected.

Decided to reboot the laptop so that I could then attempt to reconnect and enter wep key but once it loaded and I went in to network connections the Dongle showed the same as the other icons with a red cross through it. Installed the software that came with the dongle rather than just the driver but when I try to run this it tells me the dongle isn't connected.

The lights on the dongle show at least that it is receiving power via usb. I have tested the dongle in both available usb ports and the situation remains the same however a usb memory stick works fine in either and I am able to copy files to and from it in either port.

Now I’m sorry that this has turned into a bit of an essay I’m desperate to get this working I used to do a job where I had to pass on customer details of problems to tech support and always found including everything even the irrelevant usually helped. I’ve tried many a reboot and unplugged the dongle numerous times with no luck if anyone can find a way to get this working either with the internal card or via a dongle the you will have my eternal gratitude.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the integrated wireless and ethernet are bridged, delete the bridge.

The red X you describe is simply indicating a disconnection. When you successfully connect the X on that connection will go away.

With whichever wireless adapter you try, do you detect your wireless network when you 'view' or 'scan' available networks? If so, what happens when you try to connect?

Trying to connect with either or both wireless adapters please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. busby1308

busby1308 Thread Starter

Hi and firstly thanks for your reply, when you say to delete the network bridge do you mean to select the other items under network connection and then "remove from bridge" or within network connections delete the network bridge altogether? Sorry if this seems a ridiculous question just don't want to cause any further problems at the moment.

If I select either the Dongle or wireless card then "view available wireless networks" the box loads but all the contents are greyed out the only available option is cancel and no networks show. Helpfully it says if you are having difficulty then to click advanced which is of course greyed out.

With this being the case do you still want me to run the IPCONFIG /ALL?

Once again thanks for the help it is appreciated.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whatever works to get rid of the bridge--I haven't played with a bridge for a long time and don't remember the details of getting rid of it, but it wasn't difficult.

Don't know why you're getting "... all the contents are greyed out ...". No message about another utility controlling the adapter?

5. busby1308

busby1308 Thread Starter

Deleted the bridge which made no difference, have also tried disabling then enabling both the dongle and wireless card but again it has made no difference.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!