1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Toshiba Sattelite Laptop Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by that_bp_guy, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_bp_guy

that_bp_guy Thread Starter

First, I am a computer novice. I have a problem with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. It's about 1 year old.

Twice recently when I have properly shut down the computer (start, shut down) and went to turn it on the next day the computer was dead. Someone tells me it's called "extended hibernation", but I do not know. The far left blue light (indicates it is receiving power via the AC adapter) stays on and that's it. Each time I removed the battery for about 10 minutes, placed it back in and it started up. My thinking is that the computer really should not be doing this to me.

Any thoughts as to the problem and how to permanetly repair it?

Thanks!

2. Flags

Flags

bp: (I don't have a laptop so I have to do this from memory).
    You're right, the computer should not be doing this to you.
    I don't know about "extended hibernation", never heard about it.
    But just in case there is somthing to it, you can turn off hibernation altogether.
    Click Start>Control Panel.>Power options.
    In Power Options Properties there are two Power Schemes, one for AC and the other for Battery.
    Set both Schemes to turn off Monitor after (your preference) minutes.
    Turn off Hard discs=Never. System Standby=Never.
    Turn off Hibernation in both Schemes.

There may or not be a Hibernation tab, if there is, turn off Hibernation there.
    Now, the machine never goes into Stand By or Hibernation.

On the Advanced tab, When I close the lid (or something) select Shut down.

Now you will have to shut down properly every time,but if you forget, closing the lid will do it for you.

Good Luck.

3. Flags

Flags

I forgot to mention that if you are walking around with your laptop on and the Hard disk running, a slight jar can spell disaster for your HDD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice